Cowardly menace who shot at home in Newcastle jailed by Northumbria Police

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
A cowardly menace has been jailed for three years for possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear and/or violence

A cowardly menace who shot at a home in Newcastle has been jailed.

An investigation had been launched after reports from concerned members of the public said a firearm had been discharged at a property on Atkinson Road in the early hours of December 12.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Detectives were deployed and while nobody had been injured, a shell casing and evidence of a gun being fired were found at the scene.

Enquiries began and after trawling through hours of CCTV footage, speaking to a number of witnesses and collecting forensic evidence, suspect Mark Kane was identified.

31-year-old Kane was arrested and charged with possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear and/or violence.

Following a guilty plea, Kane appeared before Newcastle Crown Court where he was sentenced to three years behind bars.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The court heard how Kane had taken out what was believed to be a handgun and point it towards the upstairs windows of some terraced properties on Atkinson Road.

Kane then made the cowardly and reckless decision to fire the weapon at one of the homes before fleeing the scene.

Concerned residents called police after a firearm had been discharged at a propertyConcerned residents called police after a firearm had been discharged at a property
Concerned residents called police after a firearm had been discharged at a property | Northumbria Police

Superintendent Jamie Pitt of Northumbria Police said: “This has been outstanding work from the investigation team and testament to the dedication and professionalism of all those involved. It was a complex and extensive investigation, with hours of CCTV required to be reviewed, multiple witnesses spoken to, detailed forensic evidence considerations and wider supporting enquires.

“Luckily no one was injured and while the round fired was discovered to be a blank, those who witnessed the terrifying ordeal had no idea.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“I want to thank the public for working with us to guarantee Kane saw his day in court and we want to reassure communities that work to tackle serious and organised crime will continue under the banner of Operation Sentinel.

“We remain committed to ensuring the safety of the communities we serve and will see that anyone looking to harm others has their criminal activities disrupted and those responsible put before the courts.”

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.