Man jailed for nearly 30 years for attacking a woman and leaving her naked in a field to die

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
A man who attacked a woman and left her naked in a field to die has been jailed for almost 30 years.

Matthew Stevens, of Drysdale Crescent in Brunswick, has been sentenced to 29 years behind bars with an extended licence period of three years at Newcastle Crown Court on Monday, March 20, after he was found guilty of attempted murder.

During a six-day trial in December, the court heard how the 28-year-old met his victim on a night out on March 10, 2022.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He lured her into a taxi and took her to Brunswick Village, despite the fact that she was pleading with him to be taken home.

CCTV footage showed the pair walking along Drysdale Crescent, towards the nearby fields at around 3am and moments later, Stevens carried out his violent attack against the woman.

Matthew Stevens has been jailed for 29 years. Matthew Stevens has been jailed for 29 years.
Matthew Stevens has been jailed for 29 years. | Northumbria Police

She was discovered in the early hours of the morning fighting for her life by a dog walker who passed the scene.

Stevens had left her naked and barely conscious, with severe swelling to her face and her clothes spread across the grass.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The woman was immediately taken to hospital for critical care but the trauma was so severe, she had no memory of the incident.

Police launched an investigation and were able to a pursue an evidence-led prosecution based on telecoms activity, witness statements and CCTV footage.

When offiers arrested Stevens at his home address, they noticed his clothing was stained with blood and they had also recovered his victim’s bracelets that she had been wearing the previous night.

Detective Inspector Tam Fowler of Northumbria Police’s Major Investigation Team, said: “Stevens is a danger to women and to wider society, and I am pleased with the sentence handed down.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“He ushered a lone woman into a taxi and took her somewhere she clearly didn’t want to go before taking her into a field and beating her within an inch of her life – and then he went home to sleep afterwards like nothing had happened.

“I am not sure there is ever a place in our communities for someone who thinks this abhorrent behaviour is acceptable.

“I hope this sentence offers some closure to the victim, who continues to recover from this ordeal.

“She has shown incredible strength during these proceedings, even facing her attacker in court, and I hope she can now begin to move forward knowing justice has been done.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“This type of despicable behaviour can never be excused. Violence of any kind is completely unacceptable and I would like to thank all the officers, staff and witnesses who came forward to help us with this case, and ensure a dangerous, violent man is no longer able to harm anyone else.”

Read Newcastle’s news on the go with our free email newsletters - bringing the headlines to your inbox. Catch up on the day’s news and sport and enjoy even more from the NewcastleWorld team. Visit our website here to find out more and sign up.