This year, with Covid-19 still circulating in the UK, the NHS have outlined why it is important for people to receive the flu vaccine.
Flu vaccination is important because:
- more people are likely to get flu this winter as fewer people will have built up natural immunity to it during the COVID-19 pandemic
- if you get flu and COVID-19 at the same time, research shows you’re more likely to be seriously ill
- getting vaccinated against flu and COVID-19 will provide protection for you and those around you for both these serious illnesses
According to the NHS, if you’ve had COVID-19, it’s safe to have the flu vaccine. It will still be effective at helping to prevent flu.
The flu vaccine is available to the following people for free on the NHS.
- People who are 50 and over (including those who’ll be 50 by 31 March 2022)
- have certain health conditions
- are pregnant
- are in long-stay residential care
- receive a carer’s allowance, or are the main carer for an older or disabled person who may be at risk if you get sick
- live with someone who is more likely to get infections (such as someone who has HIV, has had a transplant or is having certain treatments for cancer, lupus or rheumatoid arthritis)
- frontline health or social care workers
Below are locations within one mile of Newcastle city centre where you can get a flu jab.
To see availability and book an appointment, call up the location.
Lloyds Pharmacy 141 Beaconsfield Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE4 5JP 0191 273 3030
Boots 150 Northumberland St, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 7DQ 0191 230 5211
Boots Hotspur Way, Eldon Square, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 7XE 0191 232 9844
Superdrug Pharmacy 46-52 Northumberland St, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 7DF 0191 232 4308
Boots 35 Blackett Street, Eldon Square, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE1 7AN 0191 232 4423
Nuns Moor Pharmacy 33 Nuns Moor Road, Fenham, Newcastle Upon Tyne, newcastle upon tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE4 9AU 0191 273 4078
Lloydspharmacy Adj Prospect Medical Group, 501 Westgate Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE4 8AY 0191 273 3450
Whitworth Chemists Limited 132-136 Elswick Road, Elswick, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE4 6SL 0191 273 8070
Boots Unit 10 Cruddas Park, Westmorland Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, NE4 7QY 0191 226 0658
Lloyds Pharmacy 168 West Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE4 9QB 0191 273 5589