Gateshead man told partner ‘I’m finishing you off’ as he stabbed victim 29 times with kitchen knife

Steven Wood pleaded guilty to attempted murder (Image: Northumbria Police)Steven Wood pleaded guilty to attempted murder (Image: Northumbria Police)
Steven Wood pleaded guilty to attempted murder (Image: Northumbria Police) | Northumbria Police
Wood stabbed his partner so hard he shattered a knife.

A man living in Gateshead told his partner he 'had to finish her off' as he tried to stab her to death while she pleaded for her life.

Steven Wood, of Winlaton Mill, attacked his partner Martina Turner, known as Tina, on May 21 last year.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The incident took place in the kitchen of their Gateshead home.

Wood, who has bipolar disorder, told Tina: “I have to finish you off, I’m not going to prison for you.”

The 54-year old attacked his 53-year-old partner after she told him she would be going out later that day.

Believing she didn’t want to spend time with him, Wood took a knife from the kitchen drawer and ran at her from behind, stabbing her so violently the blade snapped.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Wood then went back for another knife and continued to stab his partner of two years 29 times whilst she begged for her life and pleaded that he call for help.

It was only after delivering a blow into her chest that he called his son and confessed to doing something 'bad'.

While the call was taking place, Tina was able to quietly whisper for help, before Wood left the property, locked the doors and hid her key.

Within minutes an emergency response had been triggered and paramedics, officers and the air ambulance were all deployed to the scene.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

When officers forced entry, they found Tina hiding in a cupboard and began carrying out life-saving treatment at the scene.

The woman was then taken to hospital with life-changing injuries and stab wounds over her entire body, including her heart, spine and legs.

Wood was later picked up by the Marine Unit and hospitalised after trying to take his own life.

Once he made a full recovery he was arrested and remanded in custody.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Today, on Tuesday, January 18, the 54-year-old of no fixed abode, appeared before Newcastle Crown Court where he pleaded guilty to attempted murder.

Speaking after the hearing, the Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Louise Jenkins from Northumbria Police said: “This was an absolutely horrendous attack with levels of violence no one should ever be subjected to.

“It was only right that Wood admitted his despicable actions to the court and he will now have to accept his fate – which will include a considerable amount of time behind bars.

“Tina is an absolutely remarkable woman and what she has survived is nothing short of miraculous.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"She has a long journey ahead of her, as she continues to heal physically, mentally, and emotionally and I’m sure this attack will stay with her the rest of her life.

“I really hope today allows her to take that first step towards the closure she so desperately deserves and needs.

“This is without a doubt one of the most appalling and shocking cases of domestic abuse I have come across and I hope our communities know that we do not tolerate this type of behaviour and that violence and abuse of any kind should never be condoned.

“My message is to anyone who might be suffering in silence – please come forward and speak to us, we are here for you.”

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.