Life sentence for man who murdered ‘nagging’ wife whilst holidaying in Newcastle

Soong Hert Fong texted his son after mudering their mother saying “I just lost it”

A husband who murdered his wife for ‘nagging’ him has been handed a life sentence.

51-year-old Soong Hert Fong initially pleaded not guilty to killing his 51-year-old partner Pek Ying Ling when appearing at Newcastle Crown Court on Monday, August 1.

However, on Tuesday, August 9 the trial was abandoned when the murderer pleaded guilty to the horrific crime.

Fong and Ling journeyed to Newcastle from Singapore to visit family living in the area in December 2021.

Their trip would end in tragedy when shortly before 7:15 am on December 6, police were called to their city centre accommodation on Westgate Road.

Emergency services arrived and discovered Pek was not breathing.

Advertisement

Soong Hert Fong

Sadly, despite attempts to save her life, she was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.

An investigation was launched, with officers arresting her husband on suspicion of murder, and he was charged within 24 hours.

The court was told how Fong attempted to silence his wife by putting a pillow over her face.

The prosecutor said: “He lost his temper, he snapped and he smothered her to death, apparently to stop her scolding him or nagging him or to keep her quiet.”

Fong then messaged his son, who was studying in a university in Newcastle, and reportedly said: “I have hurt your mother. She’s gone. She’s dead.

Advertisement

“I just lost it. I tried to cover her mouth to shush her. I just lost it.”

On Friday, August 12 a judge handed Fong a life sentence and told him he must serve a minimum of 12.5 years behind bars.

Speaking following their father’s plea, the couple’s three children issued a joint statement, it reads: “We are heartbroken after losing our Mum, but now we just want to provide our Dad with the support he needs.”

Senior investigating officer, Detective Chief Inspector Matt Steel said: “All our thoughts remain with the couple’s three sons who have been left devastated beyond belief by the events of December 6 last year.

“Once again, I want to publicly thank them for their composure and the dignity they have shown in the face of such tragedy.

Advertisement

“We will continue to support them in any way we can and we ask that everyone respects their privacy at this extremely difficult time.

“We want to be clear that we will absolutely not tolerate domestic abuse or violence in any form.

“When incidents of this nature do occur, we are committed to bringing those responsible to justice.”