The round of industrial action across many industires has begun, with rail strikes causing particular problems for commuters around the Newcastle area. The second of two planned 48 rail strikes begins once again today as railway workers continue to demand a better pay increase and greater job security.
Newcastleworld has taken a look at the current status of public transport in Newcastle today, in order to give commuters more time to wrap up nice and warm before venturing out the door.
However, for the most up-to-date information, we advise readers use the Nexus journey planner for any 11th hour changes to tram, bus or ferry schedules throughout the day, while checking Google Maps or AA Roadwatch ahead of any road trips in the car in and out of Newcastle city centre.
Here are, as of writing, the latest travel updates on the roads and rail networks in and around Newcastle.
Are there any delays to public transport in Newcastle?
This morning’s peak service will see three of our short train journeys (known as shorts between Pelaw and Monkseaton) cancelled due to fleet availability. The journeys cancelled are:
- 06.54 Longbenton – Monkseaton
- 07.14 Monkseaton – Pelaw
- 08.03 Pelaw – Monkseaton
- 08.50 Monkseaton – Pelaw
- 09.39 Pelaw – South Gosforth
- 07.18 Longbenton – Monkseaton
- 7.38 Monkseaton – Pelaw
- 08.27 Pelaw – Monkseaton
- 07.24 South Gosforth – Monkseaton
- 07.50 Monkseaton – Pelaw
- 08.39 Pelaw – Monkseaton
- There are currently no disruption for bus services in Newcastle today
- There are currently no disruptions for ferry services in Newcastle today
Will there be any driving delays in Newcastle today?
AA Roadwatch have advised that the following roads may become congested due to road works.
- Road closed due to construction on Saville Row from Northumberland Street to North Street.
- Road closed due to construction on Strawberry Lane both ways from Strawberry Place to St Andrews Street.
- Temporary traffic signals due to gas main work on Union Street at Ingham Place.
- Temporary traffic signals due to gas main work on B1600 Stoddart Street between Shieldfield Lane and Union Street.
- Temporary traffic signals due to gas main work on Shieldfield Lane at B1600 Stoddart Street.
- Temporary traffic signals due to gas main work on A186 City Road at Tyne Street.
- Temporary traffic signals due to telecoms work on Deuchar Street at A1058 Jesmond Road.
- Temporary traffic signals due to gas main work on Railway Street at A695 Plummer Street.
- Road closed due to construction on Redheugh Bridge Road from Shot Factory Lane to A695 Railway Street.
- Temporary traffic signals due to construction on Hills Street at Wellington Street. Roadworks are being carried out by Network Rail.
- Temporary traffic signals due to construction on Albany Road near Quarryfield Road.
- Temporary traffic signals due to water main work on Askew Road between Cuthbert Street and Wolseley Close.