North Shields pair get 50 years behind bars for torture of ‘sleeping’ friend

North Shields pair get 50 years behind bars for torture of sleeping friend.

Watch more of our videos on Shots!
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

A duo who viciously tortured a man who believed he was their friend have been sentenced to a total of 50 years behind bars.

In the early hours of September 11, 2021, Jon Hamblin and Jessica Whinham launched a horrific attack on their 35-year-old victim.

Their victim, who had been sleeping on the couch of Whinham’s Stanley Street West address in North Shields, was woken abruptly to find himself lying on the floor with Hamblin standing over him – at this point he realised he had a deep stab wound.

The victim reported that Whinham put on some music, deliberately playing a song he had previously told her he disliked, and she told him it was ‘the last song you’ll ever hear’.

The savage attack continued as the victim begged for his life before eventually the pair permitted him to leave.

He stumbled out of the house and tried knocking on doors in Spencer Street before eventually a kind-hearted couple swooped to his rescue.

Shortly before 4am, the couple rang 999.

Paramedics and officers rushed to the scene and the victim was taken to hospital.

An investigation was launched, and officers swiftly arrested and charged 20-year-old Whinham and 43-year-old Hamblin with attempted murder.

The pair denied their guilt but were found guilty of attempted murder by a jury following a trial in April last year at Newcastle Crown Court.

Today Hamblin was sentenced to 29 years behind bars, while Whinham was handed 21 years – both must serve at least two thirds of their sentences. They have also been handed indefinite restraining orders – preventing them from ever contacting their victim.

Detective Inspector Jill Hall Northumbria Police called the incident a monstrous attack.He said: “Hamblin and Whinham’s treatment of their victim was inhuman – it was a monstrous attack against a man who believed he was in the company of friends.

“I want to thank the team of officers and forensics staff who worked night and day to ensure this gruesome pair were brought to justice.”

She added: “I also want to thank the victim for his bravery throughout.

“No sentence will ever take away the pain of what’s happened, but I hope knowing his attackers will be locked up for years to come will give him some comfort.

“Thank you also to the couple who took in the victim in his hour of need and assisted him until paramedics arrived – your kindness, bravery and resilience proves that there are still plenty of selfless, kind people in our region.

“We will continue to support the victim’s recovery in any way we can.”

Related topics: