Police release footage of dramatic Newcastle car chase from Saturday evening

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
The footage shows Storey speeding, dodging cars and narrowly avoiding buses before puncturing a tyre

Police have released footage of a dangerous 20-minute car chase that took place in Newcastle last weekend.

Northumbria Police officers chased a disqualified driver through residential areas for 20 minutes on the evening of Saturday, May 21.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Liam Storey, of Eastern Way, Kenton ignored red lights and reached speeds of up to 80mph through quiet streets.

Eventually, the 31-year-old’s haste got the better of him as he lost control of the silver BMW he was driving, clipping his rear wheel off a traffic island which caused the tyre to deflate.

That allowed officers from the Force’s Motor Patrols Department to successfully bring the vehicle to a safe and swift stop – and bring Storey into custody.

Less than 24 hours after the pursuit, on Monday, May 23, Storey admitted dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, no insurance use and failing to provide a specimen when he appeared before magistrates in Newcastle.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He was subsequently jailed for one year and handed a 30-month driving ban with the requirement of taking an extended test before he can ever drive again.

Inspector Dean Hood, of Northumbria Police’s Motor Patrols Department, said: “This was a fast-moving incident that endangered the lives of other road users.

“For an offender to be arrested, charged, convicted and sentenced all within 48 hours is an excellent result and I would like to thank everyone who played their part, including all our criminal justice partners. It was a real team effort.

Liam StoreyLiam Storey
Liam Storey | -

“Our roads are not racetracks and we are committed to bringing effective justice against anybody who flouts the law and risks the safety of the public while behind the wheel.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“We make no apology for our robust response and I am pleased that Storey now begins a custodial term.”

The court heard that police spotted the silver BMW which was of interest at about 5:35 pm on Saturday as it headed on the A696 past Woolsington towards Newcastle.

When instructed to pull over by officers, Storey instead hit the accelerator – and reached speeds of nearly three times the legal limit as he drove through Newbiggin Hall and towards Stamfordham village.

When arrested, Storey claimed to officers that he had “blacked out” – but later refused to cooperate with police in an interview.

He now begins a custodial term.