Quick-acting officers praised after popular Italian restaurant burgled

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Owners of popular Italian restaurant Punto have praised police for their quick actions

The owners of a popular Italian restaurant who were victims of a “devastating” burglary have praised officers after a suspect was arrested and charged within 12 hours.

Police received a report that Punto Italian Kitchen on Heaton Road had been burgled in the early hours of the morning on March 29.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Reports indicate a burglar had forced entry onto the premises and helped himself to over £1000 worth of stock and equipment, as well as causing damage to the rear door and security shutters.

When staff turned up later that morning and realised what had happened, they immediately contacted police and an investigation was launched.

CCTV and forensic enquiries were swiftly carried out and by 3pm officers had arrested a 25-year-old man who was charged with the burglary two hours later and has since appeared in court.

Brothers Damiano Rea and Zeno Meynell-Rea who own Punto thanked the officers for their speedy response and support.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad
Johnson was immediately arrested by policeJohnson was immediately arrested by police
Johnson was immediately arrested by police | Northumbria Police

General manager of Punto Andrew Adams said: “We would like to thank the officers from Northumbria Police whose fast response and quick action has helped arrest a man and bring him before the courts. We are happy to assist in any way we can.

“While this sort of crime has an impact on any business or family, it is especially devastating for such a young business having only been trading for five months.

“The team has been shaken by the crime, and it has marred what has otherwise been a week of celebration of the business reaching the number one spot on Trip Advisor for both Italian Restaurants and Pizza Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne, as ranked by travelers.

“The team are determined to move past this negative experience and additional security measures have been put in place to provide peace of mind for everyone in the building. Hopefully that’s Punto’s share of bad luck for 2022.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

PC Dave Hill from the Force’s Central Burglary Team said: “Any burglary can have a detrimental impact on the victim, especially one which has affected a relatively new business trying to get off the ground.

“We are thankful to Punto’s team for their cooperation with our ongoing investigation, from sharing CCTV footage with us, to being on hand to assist staff and officers at each stage.

“I would like our communities to know that we are committed to doing all we can to tackle this type of criminality and will work hard to bring offenders to justice.”

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.