Thug jailed after glass bottle attack

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Thug Robert Stowar was jailed for 22 months following an attack which saw a victim have a glass bottle smashed over his head

A thug has been jailed after he attacked a man with a glass bottle and spat in an officer’s face.

Robert Stowar admitted to assaulting a man on Heaton Hall Road in Byker last August in a violent attack outside of a busy pub.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The 24-year-old was seen chasing his victim down the street before smashing a glass bottle over his head and using the shards to stab him in the back of the head.

Call handlers from Northumbria Police received a number of reports from concerned onlookers at the time of the incident, and officers were on the scene within minutes.

The victim was taken to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries, while Stowar was taken into custody where his unruly behaviour continued.

Stowar is said to have hurled abuse at staff, blocked a toilet in his cell with tissue paper and then spat in an officer’s face.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

An investigation was launched and police pursued a prosecution against Stowar with CCTV footage and witness accounts.

Stowar had also spat in the face of an officerStowar had also spat in the face of an officer
Stowar had also spat in the face of an officer | Northumbria Police

Stowar, from North Shields, previously admitted to unlawful wounding and assault by beating of an emergency worker on February 9 and last week was jailed for 22 months at Newcastle Crown Court.

Speaking after the sentencing, PC Andrew Devlin the officer in charge of the case, said: “I am pleased Stowar has been jailed as this was a vicious assault in broad daylight, in front of a busy pub.

“Stowar didn’t care who saw this outburst and the volume of 999 calls we received as a result of his behaviour show just how shocking his actions were.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“We know that following an altercation, Stowar chased his victim down the street and used a bottle as a weapon, even when his victim was physically injured and trying to get away. Violence this like has no place on our streets and we are pleased that the victim has made a full recovery.

“Our stance on serious violence is clear – it is completely unacceptable and anyone found to be involved will be found, brought before the courts and prosecuted.”

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.