Newcastle Great North 10k: Council releases full list of closed roads for this weekend’s event
and live on Freeview channel 276
While the full half marathon Great North Run may still be a few weeks away, another huge event in the North East running calendar is happening this weekend when the Great North 10k takes over the streets of Newcastle’s city centre.
The route is a new one for the event and will see runners take the same first handful of kilometres as the Great North Run, which is scheduled to take place in September.
Read Newcastle's news on the go with our free email newsletters - bringing the headlines to your inbox. Catch up on the day's news and sport and enjoy even more from the NewcastleWorld team. Visit our website here to find out more and sign up.
When is the Great North 10k?
The race will be taking place on Sunday, June 2.
What is the route for the Great North 10k?
The route will see runners start near the Town Moor and follow the Great North Run route until it reaches the Tyne Bridge. After crossing the bridge runners will return following a u turn and head up market Street towards old Eldon Square, before heading back past Monument and Northumbria University. The route will then run past the civic centre and back up to the Town Moor.
Which roads will be closed this weekend for the Great North 10k?
Newcastle City Council has released the full list of road closures to make way for the runners taking part this weekend. The full list is as follows:
Road Closures for Saturday, July 1
- Strawberry Place – between its junctions with Barrack Road and St James’ Street.
- Strawberry Lane – from its junction with Strawberry Place in a southerly direction for a distance of 20 metres.
- Back St James Street – for its entire length.
- Leazes Terrace – from its western junction with Terrace Place in a northerly then easterly direction for a distance of 205 metres.
- Terrace Place (St James Terrace) – between its western junction with Leazes Terrace and junction with St James’ Street.
Road closures for Sunday, July 2
- Central Motorway East (Southbound Carriageway) – from A167 approach to Cow Hill interchange to CME ahead of Claremont Road Bridge.
- Central Motorway East– from A167 approach to Cow Hill Interchange to its junction with Tyne Bridge.
- Tyne Bridge – Entire length within Newcastle boundary.
- Market Street – between its junctions with New Bridge Street roundabout and Carliol Street.
- John Dobson Street - between its junctions with Carliol Street and St Mary’s place.
- New bridge Street west - between its junctions with John Dobson Street and Blackett Street.
- Pilgrim Street – between its junctions with Blackett Street and Market Street.
- Hood Street – between its junctions with Pilgrim Street and Grey Street.
- Blackett Street – between its junctions Percy Street and New Bridge Street west.
- Northumberland Road – from its junctions with John Dobson in easterly direction for entire length.
- College Street – between its junctions with Ellison Place and St Mary’s Place.
- Ellison Place - between its junctions with College Street and Lovers Lane.
- St Mary’s Place – between its junction with Sandyford Road roundabout and Great North Road.
- Great North Road – between its junctions St Mary’s Place and Blue House roundabout.
The southbound Central Motorway around the Start area is being closed from 4am Sunday morning, the rest of the route will close around 8.30am with the exception of College Street which will close around 9.45am and should reopen at 11.30am.
The rest of the route will be reopened in sections with the very last closures lifted by 1.00pm on Sunday.