Newcastle United reportedly had £40m bid for Napoli midfielder rejected but could reignite interest in summer

Eddie Howe’s side were unable to land the Spanish international in January but it looks like they haven’t ended their interest while Arsenal are also thought to be keeping tabs on the player’s situation.

Newcastle United had a £40m bid for Napoli midfielder Fabian Ruiz turned down last month but are expected to reignite their interest in the player in the summer transfer window, according to reports in Italy.

Corriere dello Sport claim that there is plenty interest in the 25-year old from the Premier League with Arsenal also said to be keen on the player while the Italian publication also predicts the likes of Manchester City, Manchester United and Liverpool to start taking a look.

United were linked with several different players last month but Ruiz was not a name that was seemingly mentioned by other British media publications.

Here is everything you need to know about the player and what has been reported in Italy this morning:

Who is Fabian Ruiz? Napoli midfielder linked with Newcastle United move

Fabian Ruiz of SSC Napoli during the Serie A match between SSC Napoli and US Salernitana at Stadio Diego Armando Maradona on January 23, 2022 in Naples, Italy.

Fabian Ruiz is a 25-year old who plays as a midfielder for Italian Serie A side Napoli.

The Spaniard has been with the Naples side since 2018 when former Chelsea head coach Maurizio Sarri brought the player to the Diego Armando Maradona Stadium from Real Betis.

Ruiz has been a regular in the Napoli side this season, competing in the Serie A and UEFA Europa League. He has made 22 appearances across all competitions and scored three goals.

In total, he has played 132 games for Gli Azzurri since joining in 2018 and scored 20 goals.

Ruiz has won 15 caps for the Spain international men’s team and featured in last year’s European Championship finals in their matches with Sweden, Poland and Croatia.

He has scored just one goal for his nation which came in qualifying for the Euros when he netted the first goal of Spain’s 5-0 win over Romania.

What has been reported about Fabian Ruiz joining Newcastle United?

Italian publication Corriere dello Sport have reported that Newcaslte United failed with a £40m bid to sign Fabian Ruiz last month.

Napoli were not willing to part with the player mid-season but are likely to be more amicable in the summer when the player will have just one year remaining on his current contract.

However, United are expected to have competition by then with Arsenal reportedly interested in the player.

The Italian site are also speculating that Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool will take notice of the player’s situation as could Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Newcastle also set to return for Botman and Nunez this summer

Closer to him, The Mirror are reporting that Eddie Howe will go back in for Lille centre-back Sven Botman this summer after missing out on the Dutchman last month.

It’s also being said that Newcastle will reignite their interest in Benfica striker Darwin Nunez who was another player heavily linked with a move to St James’ Park last month.

Newcastle reportedly bid £35m to land Botman in January but were unsuccessful while Nunez was on the radar of other Premier League clubs with West Ham United heavily linked with a move for the 22-year old Uruguayan.