As mobile phones pinged around Tyneside and beyond, and Newcastle United’s signing of Kieran Tripper was finally confirmed, Amanda Staveley’s “robust business plan” began to swing into action.
After weeks of speculation and negotiation, the United hierarchy were made to wait to formally unveil their first addition of the window after initially expecting to make the announcement on Thursday afternoon.
Trippier had flown into Tyneside just over 24 hours earlier and went through the usual medical procedures and conducted club media duties once an initial fee of £12 million with a further £3 million in possible add-ons was agreed with Atletico Madrid.
Trippier and his representatives stayed in a Tyneside hotel over the last two nights awaiting news over the completion of the deal.
However, the delay in the completion and the announcement was caused by a holdup in Spain and it is also believed key figures at the La Liga champions made last-minute attempts to persuade the England star to stay at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium as recently as Thursday morning.
An agreement over the announcement was finally reached and that allowed United supporters to wake up on Friday to the news their club had got what will surely be a hectic window underway with an impressive capture.
Trippier trained within hours of the deal being confirmed and received international clearance in time to make his Magpies debut in Saturday’s FA Cup exit at the hands of League One side Cambridge United.
The addition of the England defender sees Amanda Staveley and the PIF-backed consortium begin to put their stamp on the club - although the abysmal performance in Saturday’s defeat shows there is much more work to be done.
What Amanda Staveley said previously
Speaking to the club website back in November, Staveley said: "We’ve got a robust business plan and we’re developing that every week.
“January is amongst us so we’re preparing for the January transfer window.
“It’s not a window that we would ordinarily want to invest in, because you probably don’t get the right deals, but that’s something that is important at the moment and preparing for that.”
More new additions will surely follow and work is ongoing - although Magpies boss Eddie Howe did not commit to if or when that could happen in his pre-match press conference on Friday morning.
What Eddie Howe has said
He told the media: “I’m confident but can’t give promises.
“We’re working hard to improve, without anything necessarily imminent. The outlook is changing by the hour and we’re working hard to secure signings.
“I’ve learned to laugh at how many players we’re linked to.”
With one deal in the bag, United’s owners will now turn their attention towards further enhancing Howe’s squad in a bid to avoid relegation this season and put in place the foundations for a brighter future at the club.
Two central defenders heavily linked
Several outlets at home and abroad revealed the Magpies had a £30 million bid for Sevilla’s Brazilian centre-back Diego Carlos rejected just days after an offer for Lille defender Sven Botman met a similar fate.
Both players remain high on the agenda and an improved offer for Botman is currently under consideration by the reigning Ligue 1 champions.
The Dutch Under-21 international is seen as a statement signing by the Magpies and, crucially, he is reported to be open to a move to Tyneside.
A left-back is also said to be on the agenda and United have been linked with a move for Everton defender Lucas Digne and Ajax’s Argentinean international Nicolas Tagliafico over the last few week.
Jens Cajuste - remember him?
One name that is unlikely to find his way to Tyneside this month is highly-rated Swedish international midfielder Jens Cajuste.
The FC Midtjylland star was said to have a number of keen admirers at St James Park and United scouts have watched the 22-year-old over the last 12 to 18 months.
United were speculated to have made a £13.5 million bid for the midfielder back in August and he has spoken of his “childhood dream” of playing in the Premier League.
He said: “The sums are completely crazy but, at the same time, it’s fun to know that you are valued so highly. I take that as a motivation to work even harder.
“It has been difficult at times, but it is about controlling what you can control.
“Some things you cannot control and you have to accept that. What you can do is work and develop your own game. That’s what I’m trying to do.
“There is almost nothing bigger than the Premier League, it would be really fun to take on that challenge. Like so many others, it has been a childhood dream to play there.”
The likes of Premier League rivals Leeds United and Brentford have also been linked with a move for Cajuste - but NewcastleWorld has learnt that his next destination is likely to be in Europe with a number of French clubs leading the race for his signature.
Urgency for a striker
Up to two strikers could arrive ahead of deadline day as the Magpies face up to the prospect of life without top goalscorer Callum Wilson.
Scans have revealed that the injury suffered by the striker in the 1-1 home draw with Manchester United will keep him out of action for at least two months - meaning a new addition at the top end of the pitch has moved up the agenda for the Magpies hierarchy.
A permanent addition and a loan signing are believed to have been discussed with the likes of Manchester United’s Anthony Martial, Brazilian international Gabriel Barbosa and Liverpool forward Divock Origi all linked with the club since the window opened last weekend.
With one eye-catching addition in the bag, how many more follow will continue to be a keen point of conversation over the coming weeks on Tyneside.