Big Allan Saint-Maximin update as five Newcastle United players ruled out of Aston Villa clash
Allan Saint-Maximin update ahead of Newcastle United versus Aston Villa at St James’ Park.
and live on Freeview channel 276
Newcastle United could welcome back Allan Saint-Maximin for Saturday’s Premier League clash against Aston Villa. The Frenchman has missed eight of the Magpies’ last nine fixtures with a hamstring injury.
Saint-Maximin came on as a substitute during the 5-1 win over Brentford but reinjured himself in the build-up to the goalless draw at Manchester United. After missing United’s three-game week - which saw the club pick up seven points from a possible nine - Eddie Howe has confirmed the 25-year-old could return for the visit of Villa.
“Yeah there’s a chance,” Howe told reporters. “We’re going to see how training goes today but he’s made really good progress. I’m very pleased with how he’s attacked his rehab and the work he’s put in. Yeah, there’s an opportunity to hopefully get Maxi fit and available.”
Elliot Anderson is also set to return to the matchday squad after missing last Sunday’s 2-1 win at Tottenham Hotspur with a knock. Howe admits Newcastle are managing “few bumps and bruises” but hopes to have a full squad to choose from, excluding the injured Alexander Isak, Karl Darlow, Matt Ritchie, Emil Krafth and Paul Dummett.
“Few bumps and bruises and a few tired bodes but hopefully nothing too serious,” Howe said. “We’ll make decision on players today. We’ll hopefully see a couple more train today and try and pick the best team.”
Howe added: “It’s been a good week for us. Naturally, the players were feeling the effects of three games in a week earlier in the week but we’ve trained well. We’re all fully prepared.”