Callum Wilson’s three-word response to Newcastle United and England injury ‘concern’

The latest on Newcastle United and England striker Callum Wilson.

Callum Wilson is set to face France in Saturday’s World Cup quarter-final, despite sitting out of England training earlier this week.

The Newcastle United striker missed Monday’s session due to a “minor strain” and the news naturally concerned supporters on Tyneside.

Wilson missed five Premier League games between August and September with a hamstring issue but returned strongly to seal his spot in Gareth Southgate’s 26-man squad.

The 30-year-old has appeared as a substitute in two of England’s four games so far and claimed a late assist in the 6-2 win over Iran.

Captain Harry Kane will lead the lead against France but Wilson is ready to be called upon, if needed.

Posting a short three caption on Instagram, the former Bournemouth man said: “Recharge and Recover”.

Speaking to the media from Newcastle’s base in Riyadh, head coach Eddie Howe confirmed the Magpies were in frequent dialogue with Wilson and England’s medical team.

Howe said: “I’ve been in regular contact with Callum and England. Not necessarily me but our sports science team and medical team. He’s fine.

“He’s really enjoying himself and I think he’s training very well. We’re really happy to hear that.”