Chris Wood reveals what surprised him about Newcastle United ahead of £25m move

Chris Wood is Newcastle United’s second signing of the January transfer window after joining from Burnley.

Chris Wood admitted he was surprised Newcastle United triggered his £25million release clause.

The Magpies activated the stipulation in Wood’s contract at Burnley on Tuesday evening, and swiftly wrapped up a deal within 36 hours.

Wood put pen to paper on a two-and-a-half-year deal at St James’ Park and is set to make his debut on Saturday in a huge relegation clash against Watford.

His arrival significantly bolsters Newcastle’s attack, whilst weakening a direct relegation rival. Both teams sit on the same number of points in the Premier League table.

‘I don’t think anyone ever thought the clause would be triggered’

Wood said: “I knew the clause had been sitting there since we agreed the new deal two and a half years ago,” Wood said, unable to clarify whether it was already active or only became so during the summer.

Burnley insist that the clause was activated by Newcastle, meaning they had no choice but to sell.

“I get on playing football. I don’t know the specifics but knew it was there.

“It’s pretty standard to have a clause. Some people have them, some people don’t. I don’t think anyone ever thought the clause would be triggered but that’s the way it is sometimes.”

‘The number on the deal doesn’t really bother me’

The striker is believed to be the most expensive 30-year-old in Premier League history, which had raised questions from some as to why United met his price tag.

“You’re only as good as what the club wants to pay for you,” Wood responded, “If that’s what Newcastle thought I was worth at this point in time then that’s how it is.

“You never know, in six months’ time you could look back and say it’s a great deal and it would all be worth it.

“In that sense, the number on the deal doesn’t really bother me. I still have the same challenge and the same drive to work hard.”