‘Confident’ - Tottenham Hotspur handed potential injury boost ahead of Newcastle United clash

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Tottenham Hotspur injury news ahead of the Premier League top four clash against Newcastle United.

Tottenham Hotspur could have defender Clement Lenglet available for Sunday’s Premier League clash against Newcastle United.

The French defender had been a doubt for Spurs’ visit to St James’ Park after being forced off midway through last Saturday’s 3-2 home defeat to AFC Bournemouth.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

However, interim boss Cristian Stellini has suggested he could feature - if he gets through Saturday’s training session unscathed.

Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Stellini said: “Clement Lenglet is so-so. We are trying to have him 100%. He trained.

Tottenham Hotspur’s French defender Clement Lenglet. (Photo by Ben Stansall/AFP via Getty Images)Tottenham Hotspur’s French defender Clement Lenglet. (Photo by Ben Stansall/AFP via Getty Images)
Tottenham Hotspur’s French defender Clement Lenglet. (Photo by Ben Stansall/AFP via Getty Images) | AFP via Getty Images

“We are confident that tomorrow that he can train for a full session with the group rather than being apart.”

Ben Davies is edging closer to a return from a hamstring injury but Stellini hinted this weekend will come too soon for the Wales international.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“We have Ben Davies back in training, in part of the training so maybe not ready to play yet,” he said.

Spurs are expected to be without a further five players for the trip to Tyneside, including Emerson Royal, Lucas Moura - who is suspended - Ryan Sessegnon, Yves Bissouma and Rodrigo Bentacur.

It’s been a chaotic 24 hours for Tottenham following the resignation of director Fabio Paratici.

Paratici was handed a ban earlier this year for playing his part in a false accounting scandal at former club Juventus. That ban was initially applied to Italy, allowing Paratici to continue work at Tottenham, however it was then extended by FIFA to apply the sanction worldwide. That move only came to fruition late last month.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

As a result, Paratici was placed on leave with the outcome awaited. The appeal, lodged with the Italian Olympic Committee, has since been rejected. That leaves Spurs’ hunt for a new manager, and any recruitment plans ahead of the summer transfer window, in limbo.

“No, it is not a factor in preparations,” said Stellini. “Fabio was far from here for a couple of weeks so nothing changed in this type of situation but humanly we are very close to Fabio. It was a tough period for him. The final result is very sad for him and all of his family. The club made a statement.”

Get the latest Newcastle United headlines with our free football newsletter! Follow the action from St James’ Park and beyond as we bring the sport news to you. Visit our website here to sign up.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.