Eddie Howe confirms Newcastle United star will miss Chelsea & Man City - £32m man set to start

Eddie Howe has ruled the Newcastle United star out of the next four matches.

Kieran Trippier will miss the next two matches against Chelsea and Manchester City, Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe has confirmed.

The 33-year-old was forced off in the second half of the Magpies' 3-0 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday afternoon with a calf injury.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Just over 24 hours later, Trippier spoke at the North East Football Writers' Awards Dinner - where he was crowned Player of the Year - and said: "I just felt something in my calf and I don't want to take any risks or anything.

"I had a good chat with the manager but I won't know anything until [Monday]. My calf is feeling good but you know scan results can say anything, but most importantly I'm feeling positive."

Those scan results have arrived and Howe has ruled Trippier out away to Chelsea in the Premier League on Monday and the FA Cup quarter-final tie at Manchester City on Saturday, March 16.

Howe also confirmed the right-back won't be available for England's upcoming friendlies against Brazil and Belgium.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Kieran is not too bad, it’s a minor injury but the scan showed enough to probably keep him out of the next two matches," Howe told reporters. "We hope he’ll be back after the international break but that’s not guaranteed.” 

In the meantime, £32million summer signing Tino Livramento will deputise at right-back having played most of his Newcastle career so far at left-back. The 21-year-old scored his first United goal after coming on for Trippier last weekend.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.