Eddie Howe provides Newcastle United January transfer update amid 'unbelievable' £45m deal

Newcastle United head coach Eddie Howe. (Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images)Newcastle United head coach Eddie Howe. (Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images)
Newcastle United head coach Eddie Howe. (Photo by Nigel Roddis/Getty Images) | Getty Images
Kalvin Phillips to Newcastle United? Eddie Howe responds & outlines January transfer wndow approach.

Newcastle United head coach Eddie Howe refused to entertain talk regarding a potential move for Kalvin Phillips in January.

Phillips is expected to leave Manchester City just 18 months after arriving from Leeds United in a £42million deal having made just two Premier League starts in that time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In this campaign alone, Phillips has been restricted to 10 appearances with City manager Pep Guardiola recently issuing a public apology.

AFP via Getty Images

Howe recently denied reports that Newcastle had all-but agreed to bring Phillips to St James' Park next month Asked about the England international again ahead of Saturday's trip to Luton Town, Howe replied: “I’d never talk about any individual player."

Phillips is understood to be on Newcastle's radar but Howe is yet to finalise his winter plans, which he admits will be dictated by the club's injury situation. Because of that, Howe has told supporters not to expect any early business.

"We are assessing our squad probably on a daily basis at the moment to see where we stand injury-wise and then to see where the gaps are within our squad, and see what January can bring us," Howe continued.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"But I probably wouldn’t expect any early developments, it’s a long month so we’ll wait and see.”

As it stands, the Magpies could be without 13 senior players for the visit to Kenilworth Road with Sandro Tonali (suspended) and Nick Pope (shoulder) among the long-term absentees.

“I think we are just trying to make the best decisions for us," said Howe "We have a lot to consider, a lot of discussions to take place with the medical teams to see who will be back fit and when.

"The preference will always be to welcome those players back before signing any new player but if we do see a weakness in the squad in terms of numbers, we will have to act."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Howe used Anthony Gordon's move from Everton last January as an example.

The 46-year-old added: "I feel like a broken record! The January window is always very difficult. It's an incredibly tough window to sign good players in.

"We did unbelievably well last year to sign Anthony Gordon, who is a top player. Not only for when we signed him, but for the longer term it was a really good deal.

"There are not too many of those transfers flying around so we need to be very careful. Any decision we make has to have long-term benefits to the team."

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.