How much Newcastle United have earned for UEFA Champions League qualification - prize money explained

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Here is how much the Magpies have pocketed after Eddie Howe lead them to the promised land of Europe’s elite club competition.

Newcastle United will be playing Champions League football next season after Monday’s night’s 0-0 draw with Leicester City at St James’ Park guaranteed a top four Premier League finish this season.

It has been two decades since the Magpies last took part in Europe’s elite level club competition and supporters can look forward to potential bumper clashes with the likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and more next season. Not only that but qualification for the competition also brings with it significant financial reward.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Newcastle’s owners are not short of cash as we know but financial fair play restrictions prevent them simply flexing their financial muscle so simply but the revenue generated by reaching the Champions League will help them to splash the cash a bit more when needed. Here is how much money the club stand to earn next season:

Champions League prize money (2022/23 figures)

UEFA released the detailed figures which said there would be a total purse of €2.032 billion (£1.72b) available with 55% allocated based on performance and the remaining 45% is split across the 32 group stage participants in two other ways: coefficient payout and broadcast market payout.

The 2021/22 champions Real Madrid took home a total €83.2 million (£72,4m) following their Champions League campaign as well as an additional €4.5 million (£3.9m) for winning the UEFA Super Cup in August. This year, a team winning the entire competition as well as a perfect group stage performance would earn the maximum of €85.14 million.

Performance-based prize money:

  • Winner: €20m
  • Runner-up: €15.5m
  • Semifinalists: €12.5m
  • Quarterfinalists: €10.6m
  • Round of 16: €9.6m
  • Group-stage wins: €2.8m
  • Group-stage draws: €930k
  • Reaching the group stage: €15.64m

Coefficient payout (30%)

A total of €600.6 million (£522m) is paid out to all the 32 clubs who reach the UCL group stage, based on a coefficient algorithm which ranks their European performance over a 10-year period.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Teams are ranked from first to 32nd with bonus points given to those who lift the trophy. The lowest-ranked team earns one share (€1.137m) while the top-ranked team earns 32 shares (€36.38m)

Broadcast market payout (15%)

€300.3 million, or 15% of the total purse money, is made available as part of the broadcast revenues once all the broadcast details are finalised around the continent. The national federation for each country represented in the UEFA Champions league is provided a share of this money based on the proportional value of each TV market and they then distribute that money to participating UCL clubs.

When is the 2023/24 Champions League?

The 2023/24 UEFA Champions league will be the 69th edition of the competition with the final set to take place at Wembley Stadium on June 1, 2024. Qualifying for the group stages will begin next month with the earliest rounds getting underway on June 27.

Due to England’s coefficient ranking, Newcastle are already guaranteed a group stage place. That means their first fixture in the competition next season will take place on either September 19 or 20.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.