‘I think it is best’ - Agent speaks out on future of ‘£40m-rated’ Newcastle United & Man Utd ‘target’

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Mohammed Kudus is poised to leave Ajax amid interest from a number of Premier League clubs

Mohammed Kudus’ agent Jennifer Mendelewitsch has told Dutch media the Ajax star has rejected a new contract offer from the club ahead of a proposed departure this summer.

The 22-year-old has been linked with Newcastle United, Manchester United and Arsenal and is reportedly set to be made available for around £40m.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

All three Premier League clubs said to be interested in the player are set to play Champions League football next season, with Newcastle sealing their spot in the competition on Monday night with a 0-0 draw at home to Leicester City.

The Red Devils require just one point from home games against Chelsea and Fulham to beat Liverpool to the final top-four spot.

Speaking on the future of Kudus, Mendelewitsch told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf: “I think it is best for both Ajax and Mohammed that he makes a transfer now. Now is the right time.

“He has ignored a proposal to extend his contract until the summer of 2026.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

She was not drawn on speculation on which clubs have expressed an interest in the player but did say: “What I can say is that after the World Cup and this season there is a lot of interest in Kudus.”

The Ghana star has played 29 games in the Eredivisie this term, scoring 11 times and providing three assists. He also scored four goals in six Champions League appearances as Ajax finished third in their group behind Napoli and Liverpool.

At the World Cup in Qatar, he scored twice in three appearances, as he netted a brace in a 3-2 win over South Korea. He has been capped 23 times by Ghana.

He joined Ajax in 2020 from Danish club Nordsjælland for a fee of just €9m. As things stand, Kudus is under contract at Ajax until 2025 and previously worked with Man United boss Erik ten Hag at the Amsterdam club.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After securing a place in the Champions League, Newcastle boss Eddie Howe admitted that the club will not be able to splurge funds this summer.

“It won’t be huge numbers, I don’t think it can be,” he said.

“We don’t have the ability to spend the money people will think we have, so we’re going to have to be very smart. It’ll be a small group of players, but ones we think can make a difference.”

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.