Newcastle United and West Ham ‘keen’ on Man United star, Toon ‘give up’ on £50m chase

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
All the latest transfer news and speculation involving Newcastle United.

Newcastle United continue to be linked with a number of potential new signings in the late stages of the transfer window.

This summer has proven to be a relatively frustrating affair for the Magpies in many respects, with efforts to sign new attacking talents in particular coming up short.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But with time remaining, and with a number of irons reportedly in the fire, there is still pleny of optimism on Tyneside.

With that in mind, here is Saturday’s Newcastle-related transfer speculation...

Toon keen on McTominay

Newcastle United are one of several Premier League clubs who are reportedly “keen” on signing Manchester United midfielder Scott McTominay.

According to 90min, the anticipated arrival of Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro at Old Trafford has put a number of top flight sides on alert, with the Magpies facing competition from the likes of West Ham, Everton, Leicester City, and Southampton.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It is claimed that the Red Devils have been “inundated” with interest in the 25-year-old since Casemiro’s move was confirmed, subject to a medical, though the Scottish international has not officially been made available at this point, nor has he asked to leave.

Any departure for McTominay would most likely be on loan.

Gallagher touted as ideal Toon signing

Newcastle United manager Eddie Howe is insistent on signing the right kind of characters for the Magpies, and for that reason, Chelsea star Conor Gallagher “would fit in really well” on Tyneside, according to Sky Sports reporter Keith Downie.

According to The Sun, United have made the England international their number one transfer target for the remainder of the window.

And Downie is of the opinion that he would be a perfect addition to Howe’s dressing room.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Speaking to GIVEMESPORT, he said: “For Eddie Howe, the characters involved are really important.

“That’s why I feel that Conor Gallagher would be the one that would fit in really well.”

Maddison pursuit over

Newcastle United have ‘given up’ in their pursuit of Leicester City midfielder James Maddison, according to CBS reporter Ben Jacobs.

A flurry of speculation linked the Magpies with a potential swoop earlier in the transfer window, but it is understood that St James’ Park chiefs are not confident that the Foxes are willing to offload the 25-year-old.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Various reports have suggested in recent days that Leicester are looking to tie Maddison down to a new contract, and after failing with a previous bid of around £50 million for the player, it is claimed that United have now admitted defeat.

Speaking to GIVEMESPORT, Jacobs said: “The briefing that I’ve been given from sources close to Newcastle’s owners is, for now, they’ve given up on James Maddison.

“They won’t return with a big bid at this point and that’s because they don’t believe that Leicester will sell.”

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.