Newcastle United 'contact' Premier League rivals over deal as defender called out over 'poor' form

Getty Images
All the latest news and transfer rumours surrounding Newcastle United as preparations for next season continue.

Newcastle United will already be hard at work preparing for the new season with Eddie Howe looking to ensure a return to Europe. The Magpies were unfortunate miss out on Europe last season, finishing seventh and missing out due to Manchester United’s FA Cup success.

But on the other hand, having finished as high as fourth during the season before, Newcastle know that they should have ensured that their European hopes did not rely on results elsewhere. As Newcastle look to go one better next season, we have rounded up all the latest news surrounding St James’ Park.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Olise ‘interest’

Newcastle are being linked with a move for Crystal Palace star Michael Olise amid interest aplenty in the winger heading into this summer. The 22-year-old is under a long-term deal at Selhurst Park, but after a fine end to last season, there is interest from a number of big clubs this summer.

How is said to be in the market for a forward who can play on the right side this summer, and The Athletic have reported that Newcastle have been in touch with Crystal Palace to enquire about a possible Olise deal. The Eagles are likely to set a huge price tag given the long-term contract they have in place, with Olise under terms until 2027.

Trippier criticism

Wayne Rooney has been critical of Newcastle star Kieran Trippier as the full-back prepares for Euro 2024 with England. The Three Lions kick off their campaign in Germany this Saturday, and Trippier is poised to play a big part.

Despite that, Rooney has said: “It is (certain he will start), but for me he’s been really poor all season. He’s had injuries as well, but he’s been playing poorly. I thought the other night against Iceland he was poor again. He has to play, but he hasn’t been playing well for Newcastle.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Kelly and How speak about transfer

Lloyd Kelly is now a Magpie, and speaking after his free transfer from AFC Bournemouth, which becomes official on July 1, the defender told club media: “It's amazing to be coming here. I know how big the club is and how much it means to all the fans, and I just want to hit the ground running and get to work. It’s a big move for myself and the family - of course being down south is a bit different - but I think the city of Newcastle is amazing, with the contrast between city life and the countryside.

“It wasn't a hard decision for me to come here. Working with the gaffer previously, I know what he wants from his players and how he wants his players to play, and I think with what I can bring it just makes sense. I just can't wait to get started.”

Howe added: “I’m really pleased to have secured Lloyd’s signature. He’s a player who’s proven himself at Premier League level and I’m certain he’ll be a great addition as we prepare for the new season.

“Lloyd is a player I’ve admired since the early stages of his career. Alongside his undoubted defensive ability, he brings versatility and leadership qualities that I believe will make him a great fit within our squad and somebody our supporters will quickly take to. He has plenty of Premier League experience already under his belt, yet Lloyd’s at an age where he can still develop. He has a lot of potential and I’m really looking forward to working with him again.”

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.