Newcastle United dealt £32m double injury blow ahead of Bournemouth as 'unusable' claim made
and live on Freeview channel 276
The Magpies moved up to seventh in the Premier League table and recorded their fourth straight away win but as is the case this season, injuries continue to crop up. And the latest worry is Callum Wilson and Jacob Murphy.
Wilson was holding his arm in the closing stages and once the full-time whistle blew, the 31-year-old was immediately treated by physios.
The Magpies' No.9 got through a full 90 minutes at the City Ground on his first start in 2024 after previously missing five matches against Liverpool, Sunderland, Manchester City, Fulham and Aston Villa.
But Howe admits there is a "slight concern" surrounding the England striker ahead of the visit of AFC Bournemouth on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).
Asked about Wilson, Howe said: "Slight concern for us after the game. His shoulder is fine but there looks to be a problem with one of the muscles in his arm. We’re hopeful it’s not serious but at this moment we don’t know."
Murphy, meanwhile, was named on the bench after dropping out of the starting XI in place of Wilson. However, Howe was unable to call upon the winger after feeling his calf in the warm-up.
“Jacob Murphy was unusable for us today," said Howe. "He didn’t feel great in the warm up. So we’re still getting challenges left, right and centre but we’re, at this moment in time, managing to come through those.
"Today was a massive result for us, it gives us a real big high off the back of last week where there were so many positives but ultimately a disappointing result. The players just keep giving more and I couldn’t be prouder tonight.”