Callum Wilson admits he isn’t feeling 100 per-cent ahead of Newcastle United’s trip to Southampton this weekend. Eddie Howe’s side head to St Mary’s looking to extend their unbeaten run to nine matches and maintain their position in the Champions League places.
The 30-year-old has scored six goals in nine appearances so far this campaign, including important goals against Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa in recent weeks. He netted the opener in the 2-1 win at Spurs and put United into a two-goal lead against Villa last Saturday.
Wilson has started the last six games - boosting his chances of making the England World Cup squad - after a five-match spell on the sidelines with a hamstring problem, however admits he is feeling “a little run-down” ahead of facing Ralph Hasenhuttl’s Saints.
In a bid to ensure he starts on the South Coast, where he spent six years with Bournemouth, Wilson has taken extra care this week. He told the BBC Footballer’s Football Podcast: “We’ve got a training week, game on Sunday. I feel a little run-down this week so I need to make sure no illness kicks. Fully clear that out.
“We’ve got a big week next week as well with the Carabao Cup on Wednesday night, Thursday squad announcement for the World Cup then Saturday Chelsea. It’s a big week next week coming up in terms of games and everything so I have to make sure I’m well rested, you know.”
Howe said after the win against Villa that some of his players were feeling the effects of a busy period and will benefit from the eight-day break. Howe is already without Alexander Isak, Karl Darlow, Matt Ritchie, Paul Dummett and Emil Krafth, while Joelinton will serve a one-match suspension.
The Magpies head coach will provide the latest on his squad when he addresses the media later this morning.