Newcastle United training ground update after 'false' rumours surround £20m star

Newcastle United strikers Alexander Isak (left) Callum Wilson (right). (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)Newcastle United strikers Alexander Isak (left) Callum Wilson (right). (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)
Newcastle United strikers Alexander Isak (left) Callum Wilson (right). (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images) | Getty Images
Eddie Howe and his Newcastle United squad are back training as they prepare for the final home game of the season against Brighton.

Callum Wilson has been pictured at Newcastle United’s training ground as the squad prepare for Saturday’s Premier League clash at home to Brighton and Hove Albion (kick-off 3pm).

Wilson made his first start since returning from eight weeks out with a chest injury in the 4-1 win at Burnley last weekend. The Magpies’ No.9 netted the opener, taking him above Peter Beardsley and into second in the club’s all-time Premier League goalscoring charts.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

There have been rumours on social media that the 32-year-old had sustained a fresh injury at Turf Moor but those noises have been debunked after the club posted a photo of him in their training gallery on Wednesday.

Callum Wilson last played for England against Scotland in SeptemberCallum Wilson last played for England against Scotland in September
Callum Wilson last played for England against Scotland in September | Getty Images

Also pictured were Joelinton and Nick Pope after they returned to the matchday squad last Saturday. The pair had previously spent four to five out but are available for the remaining three games, starting with Brighton.

With Miguel Almiron also back and Wilson back firing, Newcastle are welcoming players back at the right time as they look to secure European qualification for the second successive season.

Wilson is a player whose future is uncertain with his contract, as it stands, due to expire in 2025. The England striker has also suffered with injuries this season but United boss Eddie Howe says he’ll do everything he can to keep him at St James’ Park next season.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Of course, I want him at the club next season, I'll do everything I can to make that happen,” said Howe. “Write him off at your peril for sure because he comes back time and time again. He's a very motivated player and wants to do his very best at every moment.

“I've managed him for a very long time now and mentality wise I wouldn't swap him. He's a monster, he's got a focus and when he's got a goal he'll go for it.”

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.