Newcastle United set to enter ‘bidding war’ as £10million transfer terms ‘revealed’

Newcastle United are set for a busy end to the transfer window - but what are the rumours saying?

<p>Pape Abou Cisse</p>

Pape Abou Cisse

Newcastle are set to ‘enter the bidding war’ for a standout performer at the African Cup of Nations - according to reports.

Eddie Howe is keen to add to his squad before the transfer window closes on January 31, with defensive reinforcements and some additional attacking flair top of his wishlist.

The Magpies failed to get any new additions over the line in time to feature against Leeds United in their next Premier League fixture, with moves for Manchester United’s Jesse Lingard and defender Diego Carlos yet to be completed.

But fresh reports have suggested that Howe is eyeing alternative defensive options ahead of the deadline.

Indeed, the Sun claim that Senegal centre-back Pape Abou Cisse is one player being eyed by the Tynesiders.

They report that the Olympiacos defender has caught the eye of several clubs at the African Cup of Nations, and that Newcastle have ‘held talks’ with the player’s agent ahead of a potential ‘bidding war’.

Arsenal, Everton and Leicester City have all previously been credited with an interest in the 26-year-old.

The Sun also report that Arsenal have opened the door to allow Bernd Leno to make a winter switch to St James’ Park.

The Gunners are understood to be willing to allow goalkeeper Leno to depart once a deal for his replacement - Matt Turner of New England Revolution - is sealed.

However, they said that the German - who is valued at around £10million by Arsenal - is ‘not completely convinced’ about moving to Newcastle, and would prefer a temporary switch before reassessing his future in the summer.

His current club, though, are said to have revealed their transfer terms and are looking for a short-term loan move with a guarantee the switch would become permanent should Newcastle retain their Premier League status.