Newcastle United ‘weigh up’ £30m striker swoop as Bruno Guimaraes eyes reunion with Lyon teammate

All focus may well be on Newcastle United’s bid to remain in the Premier League - but that has not stopped transfer speculation as the Magpies look to bolster their squad this summer.

Magpies to compete with Premier League rivals for Canadian star

Canadian international forward Jonathan David is enjoying a remarkable season after scoring 16 goals in 33 appearances for Ligue 1 club Lille.

That form has been carried on to the international scene with David hitting nine goals in just 15 appearances for Canada over the last 12 months.

French outlet Jeunes Footeux are reporting his form has captured the attention of Newcastle, Liverpool and Arsenal and claimed the latter made a first move to secure his signature in January.

Newcastle are believed to be prepared to pay around £30million to sign David this summer - and the forward told Telefoot that a move to the Premier League would be of interest.

He said: “What happens next, we’ll see.

“The Premier League attracts everyone. It is the most competitive championship in the world.

“It’s a very good championship.”

Newcastle keen to bring in Bruno’s Brazil international teammate

French outlet FootMercato have revealed Newcastle are keen on reuniting Bruno Guimaraes with his former Lyon team-mate Lucas Paqueta this summer.

Bruno Guimaraes and Lucas Paqueta.

The move would see the Ligue 1 club move for another reported United target - Lens midfielder Seko Fofana.

The report suggests Newcastle made a move for attacking midfielder Paqueta during the January transfer window but he decided against the move.

However, the Magpies could return with a second bid this summer.

Championship prospect set for new contract

Newcastle are one of several clubs being linked with a move for Nottingham Forest highly-rated youngster Brennan Johnson.

Brennan Johnson of Nottingham Forest looks on during the Emirates FA Cup Fourth Round match between Nottingham Forest and Leicester City at City Ground on February 06, 2022 in Nottingham, England

After impressing on loan at Lincoln City last season, Johnson has been in remarkable form since he returned to the City Ground with a return of nine goals and five assists in 31 appearances.

The 20-year-old was linked with a move to Crystal Palace and Brentford are believed to have made an unsuccessful £18million for his services in January.

The Mirror have reported Leeds, Newcastle, Everton and Burnley are all monitoring the situation - but could be left disappointed as the youngster moves closer to penning a new deal with the Championship club.

Scouting mission hints at interest in Porto defender

Newcastle are believed to have been represented in the stands as Porto claimed a 2-1 home win in the first leg of the Europa League round-of-32 tie against Italian club Lazio.

Zaidu Sanusi of FC Porto puts Neco Williams of Liverpool under pressure during the UEFA Champions League group B match between Liverpool FC and FC Porto at Anfield on November 24, 2021 in Liverpool, England. (Photo by Clive Brunskill/Getty Images)

A member of United’s scouting and recruitment staff is said to have been at the Estadio do Dragao and Portuguese outlet O Jogo claim left-back Zaidu Sanusi was the one being watched.

The Magpies were linked with the £17million-rated Nigerian international last month and are currently monitoring the situation.