Newcastle United’s next summer transfer move revealed after sealing £30m deal

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Newcastle United are weighing up their next move in the summer transfer market.

Despite taking their summer spending count to £127million earlier this week, Newcastle United remain active in the summer transfer market.

Having signed two forwards, a midfielder and a full-back, the Magpies are plotting their next area to attack.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Which players have signed for Newcastle United this summer?

Newcastle have made four new signings so far this summer, with three of those set to feature in the matchday squad for Saturday evening’s Premier League opener against Aston Villa (kick-off 5:30pm)

Sandro Tonali is adapting to life on Tyneside following his £52million plus add-ons move from Italian giants AC Milan. Meanwhile, Harvey Barnes and Livramento have joined from Leicester City and Southampton, respectively, for a combined total of around £68m.

Newcastle United midfielder Sandro Tonali. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)Newcastle United midfielder Sandro Tonali. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)
Newcastle United midfielder Sandro Tonali. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images) | Getty Images

Although both Barnes and Livramento boast Premier League experience, neither they or Tonali are predicted to start versus Villa because of Anthony Gordon, Kieran Trippier and Sean Longstaff but could be called upon from the bench.

Newcastle’s first summer signing Yankuba Minteh won’t feature for Howe’s first team until next year at the earliest after he was loaned to Dutch champions Feyenoord on the same day his £7m switch from Danish club Odense Boldklub was announced.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Will Newcastle United make any more signings?

Before finalising a deal for Livramento, Magpies head coach Eddie Howe said last Friday he wanted “a couple” more players.

Howe said: “We don’t want to carry a huge squad, we want everyone in the squad to feel like they have a part to play.

“Certainly, we do have the various competitions that we’re involved in so we need to be robust enough to deal with that challenge. Let’s see what happens. Maximum [I want] a couple of players but let’s wait and see.”

He later added: “Ideally I’d love to bring in two players but let’s wait and see, there’s no guarantees.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With that in mind, it’s understood Newcastle are in the market for a right-sided centre-half. Fabian Schar’s hamstring injury, albeit fairly minor, has reinforced the need to strengthen that area.

Newcastle United central defender Fabian Schar. (Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images)Newcastle United central defender Fabian Schar. (Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images)
Newcastle United central defender Fabian Schar. (Photo by Mark Runnacles/Getty Images) | Getty Images

While 19-year-old Alex Murphy has caught the eye in pre-season, the only senior option behind Schar is club captain Jamaal Lascelles. There is Dan Burn, Sven Botman and Paul Dummett but Howe would prefer not to move the left-footed trio over to the right side.

Although Howe is prepared to call upon Lascelles, it’s no secret that the 29-year-old isn’t as comfortable in possession as the Switzerland international, or indeed Botman. Schar and Botman recorded the joint-best defensive record in the league last season.

Similar to signing Livramento as Trippier’s long-term replacement, Newcastle are eyeing a defender who has similar qualities to Schar and can therefore challenge the 31-year-old, whose contract expires next June.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Build up to Newcastle’s first game of the new Premier League season with our FREE football newsletter. Get team news, transfer headlines and more when you sign up for NUFC Latest. Follow the action from St James’ Park and beyond. Visit our website here to sign up.

What about outgoings?

After trimming the wage bill by offloading Allan Saint-Maximin and Karl Darlow to Al Ahli and Leeds United, respectively, last month, Newcastle hope to get three more high earners off their books.

Unwanted trio Ryan Fraser, Jeff Hendrick and Isaac Hayden continue to pick up around £150,000-per-week between them, costing the club more than £600,000 per month in wages. And that is exactly why a move to the Championship is proving nigh impossible, unless Newcastle pay a significant portion of their salary.

Another player to mention is Javier Manquillo. The Spaniard, who is currently sidelined with a groin issue, made just six appearances last season and is expected to fall further down the pecking order following Livramento’s arrival.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.