Six Newcastle United players likely to bid farewell after Chelsea - and four that could
Six players likely to bid farewell to Newcastle United this summer - and four that could
and live on Freeview channel 276
Here, NewcastleWorld takes a look at the players likely to bid an emotional farewell, and those that could:
Martin Dubravka - likely
Dubravaka is set to make his first Premier League start in over 12 months at Stamford Bridge after Nick Pope underwent hand surgery earlier this week.
The Slovakian had been United’s undisputed No.1 since January 2018 before Pope’s arrival last summer, and he responded by pushing through a loan move to Manchester United.
But having made just two Carabao Cup appearances for the Red Devils, the 33-year-old asked to be recalled in January. He’s played back up to Pope and may leave if given the opportunity to be first choice elsewhere. Howe, however, hopes that isn’t the case.
“I very much hope his future is here,” said Howe. “I rate Martin very highly and always have done, it’s just last summer we had the opportunity to recruit Nick and Nick’s done incredibly well.
“It’s been difficult for Martin to get the game time he wants but we need a good squad going into a season with loads of games. If Martin were to stay then I think he’d get a lot of football.”
Mark Gillespie - likely
Gillespie, out of contract this summer, is understood to be a big character behind the scenes but as far as playing goes, the boyhood Newcastle fan hasn’t made a competitive appearance since September 2020.
Loris Karius - likely
Loris Karius has made just one appearance for the Magpies this season - the 2-0 Carabao Cup final loss to Manchester United - and is out of contract next month.
Karius is rarely, if ever, a member of the Magpies’ matchday squad, and is allowed time to travel back to Italy to be with Leotta, who is a high-profile TV presenter with DAZN.
And the German’s other half spoke recently to the Italian media about her partner’s future, with her ‘selfish’ hope revolving around a more permanent residence in her homeland.
“Would I like (Karius to be) closer? Selfishly yes,” Leotta told Gazzetta dello Sport. “But, at the same time, I wish him the best for his career.
“I don’t deny that it would be nice to see him play near me. Perhaps around Milan, or in Lombardy or in Liguria. In short, we can move throughout Northern Italy, but also to the centre or the south. It would be much more comfortable than in Newcastle.”
Jamal Lewis - likely
Howe admitted last week that Jamal Lewis’ future at Newcastle is unclear after becoming a forgotten man this season.
Northern Ireland international Lewis, who arrived from Norwich City for £15million in 2020, has made just three appearances this term and has only played seven minutes of Premier League football.
His only start of the campaign came as the Magpies fell to a shock FA Cup third round exit at the hands of League One club Sheffield Wednesday in January.
“The future is a little bit unclear for him,” Howe admitted. “He’s very much a valued member of our squad at the moment. I’m very aware I’ve not been able to give him the football he wants this season but I would say his game has developed behind the scenes.
“The work he’s put in behind the scenes every day to improve himself with the coaches here has been brilliant to see.
“His game has been in a really good place, just I haven’t been able to give him the opportunities to show that. He’s someone we value and believe. As I sit here now, I don’t know what the future will hold for him next year.”
Matt Ritchie - likely
Howe desperately wants to keep Ritchie, who is out of contract next month, but cast doubt over his future on Friday.
Ritchie has made 198 appearances for the Magpies since joining from Bournemouth in 2016 but has been restricted to just 10 outings in 2022-23.
Despite his lack of game time, Howe is keen to keep the 33-year-old because of his leadership behind the scenes but a move closer to his family on the South Coast could be on the cards.
“I’ve held various discussions with Matt throughout the season and I think, first and foremost, he’s been very committed to Newcastle and to the team and aims this season,” Howe said. “I have said I desperately want to keep him next year.
“He has had issues surrounding his family and the distance between him and them, it’s never easy when you have young children and that distance when you’re a parent is tough at times. But Matt has been exceptional and I certainly hope he stays for next season.”
Ryan Fraser - likely
Fraser has been training with the club’s under-21s since the beginning of March after falling out with Howe. The Scotland international’s last appearance for United was during a 1-0 home win over Everton in October.
“Ryan is training with the under-21s. I made the decision to concentrate on the players that are committed to Newcastle,” Howe said in March.
Asked if he saw a future for Fraser on Tyneside, Howe said: “I think that’s a difficult one for me to answer because I’d never put a firm decision on that because life and football can change quickly. But I’d say at the moment, no he doesn’t.”
Paul Dummett - could
Howe confirmed on Friday he hopes Newcastle can reach an agreement with Dummett over a new contract.
The Geordie last featured in the Magpies’ Carabao Cup second-round win at Tranmere Rovers in August but similar to Ritchie, is a huge part of the dressing room.
“I hope we can come to an agreement with Paul and he will stay for next year,” Howe said. “I think he is a vital part behind the scenes of our success this year.
“He’s trained superbly and his commitment to Newcastle is undoubted. We’d love him to extend his stay.”
Dummett, who progressed through Newcastle’s academy, has made 205 appearances [146 in the Premier League] since breaking into the senior set-up in 2013.
Javier Manquillo - could
It’s been reported in Spain this week that Manquillo is likely to leave Newcastle this summer.
The 29-year-old, who missed the whole of pre-season due to a groin problem, has made just six appearances in total in 2022-23.
Manquillo has started cup games against Crystal Palace and Sheffield Wednesday but played just 34 minutes from four Premier League games.
And with Harrison Ashby signed as understudy to first-choice right-back Kieran Trippier, and Howe eyeing a new left-back in the summer, Manquillo’s playing time is set to become even more restricted.
It’s claimed by Spanish publication AS that clubs in Spain, England, Germany and France are interested in signing Manquillo, who has one left year on his contract.
Jamaal Lascelles - could
With Fabian Schar and Sven Botman forming a formidable centre-back partnership, Newcastle captain Lascelles has been restricted to just two Premier League starts during 22-23.
Howe has spoken highly of Lascelles’ leadership and professionalism behind the scenes, and given he has stuck with the club during tough times, no one would hold it against the defender if he wishes to explore regular football this summer.
Howe, for his part, would be pleased to retain the 29-year-old’s services, despite being in the market for a new central defender. Ultimately, the decision to stay or go will be down to Lascelles.
Allan Saint-Maximin - could
Every transfer window since Saint-Maximin moved to St James’ Park from Nice in 2019 has seen the Frenchman linked with a move elsewhere, and that’ll be no different this summer on the back of a frustrating campaign where hamstring injuries have restricted the winger to 11 Premier League starts.
During United’s darkest days under the previous management and ownership, the 26-year-old was often the beaming light but under Howe and his ability to improve the likes of Joelinton, Sean Longstaff and Miguel Almiron, there’s no denying the winger has become less relied upon.
Saint-Maximin had made no secret of his desire to play Champions League football in years it never looked possible on Tyneside. And now it’s finally here, it’ll be fitting to see remain part of the journey.
Howe has always maintained that Saint-Maximin is an integral part of his squad but given he had an opportunity to join another club in January, it would be naive to rule out a potential departure.
Get the latest Newcastle United headlines with our free football newsletter! Follow the action from St James’ Park and beyond as we bring the sport news to you. Visit our website here to sign up.