This is why Erling Haaland to Man City delivers Newcastle United and Arsenal bad transfer news

Man City have confirmed the transfer of Erling Haaland pending a final green light on specifics of the deal.

Tuesday afternoon brought confirmation that Manchester City are on the brink of completing the signing of one of world football’s hottest properties in Erling Haaland.

The current Premier League leaders and title favourites released a statement confirming they had reached ‘an agreement in principle’ with Borussia Dortmund to sign striker Haaland next month.

Sign up to our Newcastle United newsletter

City are believed to have met a £51.5million buyout clause in the Norway international’s current contract with the Bundesliga giants and they will now look to agree personal terms with the 21-year-old frontman.

In a short statement released on their website, City said: “Manchester City can confirm that we have reached an agreement in principle with Borussia Dortmund for the transfer of striker Erling Haaland to the club on 1st July 2022.

“The transfer remains subject to the club finalising terms with the player.”

Haaland has forged a fearsome reputation in the Bundesliga ever since joining Dortmund in an £18million move from RB Salzburg in January 2020.

The striker has plundered his way to 85 goals in 88 games in all competitions for the Black and Yellows and has attracted attention from some of European football’s biggest clubs.

However, it is City that look to have won the race for his services and they will hope he can replicate the impact he has made in Dortmund when he kicks off his first season in the Premier League.

His official arrive at the Etihad may still be three weeks away - but Haaland could have also provided a threat to the summer transfer plans of at least two of the clubs he will face next season.

What next for Dortmund and the impact on Newcastle and Arsenal

Not for the first time in recent years, Dortmund are faced with the prospect of replacing one of their key players.

The likes of Ousmane Dembele, Jadon Sancho and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang have all left the Westfalenstadion over the past decade Dortmund received sizable bids for their services.

Yet the German giants have been prolific in replacing their departed stars with eye-catching signings that have forged their own fearsome reputations in the Bundesliga.

Indeed, they have already gone some way to achieving the impossible in replacing Haaland by agreeing a £32million deal to sign striker Karim Adeyemi from RB Salzburg - the same club from which they signed Haaland just over two years ago.

It is expected at least one more forward could join Dortmund before the end of the summer transfer window - and that could prove to be bad news for Newcastle and Arsenal.

One player said to be on their radar is Reims’ forward Hugo Ekitike.

A late January bid for Ekitike was accepted, however, the young striker didn’t feel it was the right time to make the move to England. This summer could be different however. Transfermarkt currently value Ekitike at £18million.

It seems all but certain the France Under-21 international will leave the Ligue 1 club this summer after quotes attributed to Reims president Jean-Pierre Caillot surfaced earlier this week.

He told The Athletic: “It is true that we received very good offers for Hugo during this transfer window. Our desire has always been to keep him at least one full season.

“He too was keen not to skip the stages, wanting to be a little more lasting in the club project, that of his training club which he joined at the age of 11. We share the feeling that there is still a piece of history to write together.”

Those quotes come on the back of Newcastle’s unsuccessful attempt to sign Ekitike on the final day of the January transfer window after the Magpies agreed a fee with Reims - but the forward decided against a move to Tyneside over concerns of joining a club in the midst of a battle against relegation.

Newcastle are said to be keen on reigniting their interest in the young forward - but could now face competition from Dortmund as they look to plug the Haaland-sized hole in their squad.

Gianluca Scamacca of US Sassuolo. Credit: Alessandro Sabattini/Getty Images

Ekitike is far from the only candidate to replace the Norway international with Dortmund also considering a move for Sassuolo striker Gianluca Scamacca.

A £38million bid was reportedly lodged with the Serie A club in January and Italian outlet Gazzetta dello Sport reported Scamacca was high on their list of priorities.

The striker has 14 goals in 34 league games for Sassuolo this season and earned a maiden call-up to the senior Italy squad last year when he featured for the final half-hour of a World Cup qualifier against Lithuania.

Arsenal head into the summer looking to strengthen their attacking options with Alexandre Lacazette and Eddie Nketiah, linked with Dortmund and Newcastle, both out of contract at the end of the season - and Scamacca is reportedly high on their list of targets as they prepare for what they hope will be a return to the Champions League.

Haaland is not officially a Manchester City player just yet - but his presence is already causing something of a headache for two opposing clubs ahead of an intriguing summer transfer window.