What Eddie Howe said when asked about more players leaving Newcastle United this summer

Eddie Howe was asked about potential outgoings at Newcastle United.

Eddie Howe hopes Newcastle United’s transfer business is finished in terms of outgoings this summer.

Five players have departed St James’ Park so far with Isaac Hayden, Freddie Woodman, Jeff Hendrick, Ciaran Clark and Dwight Gayle all sealing Championship moves.

There has been speculation over further outgoings but Howe insists he is not looking to offload any more senior players.

Speaking ahead of Saturday’s Premier League trip to Brighton and Hove Albion, Howe said: “We’re not looking to lose anybody.

“From the squad, we’ve not had any bids for our players. Fingers crossed that remains the same.

“I’d say, the squad is and has been very consistent during training. Our numbers have been 21 or 22, which is where we want to be really depending on knocks and injuries.

“I certainly wouldn’t want to be any weaker than that. I’d be reluctant to let anyone go currently without bringing someone in.”

Newcastle United head coach Eddie Howe. (Photo by Stu Forster/Getty Images)

Howe admitted the door is open for some of the younger players to seal loan moves to aid their development.

That doesn’t apply to Elliot Anderson, however, who is set to remain with Howe’s first-team squad after impressing in pre-season.

Howe added: “With the younger guys that don’t currently train with us, we would be open for anybody to go if the loan was right for them but there is a couple of players I’d probably want to hold back who I feel could be part of our season next year.

“The majority… I do encourage the loan market - we see what it did for Elliot last year.

“It’s something I do passionately believe in, getting that experience under their belts will do them the world of good.”