Why Eddie Howe is refusing to make ‘rash promises’ over key talking point at Newcastle United
The January transfer window is on the horizon for Newcastle United - but Eddie Howe wants to focus on the games ahead first.
and live on Freeview channel 276
Eddie Howe admitted to having “one eye” on the January transfer window, although wouldn’t be drawn into giving any further details.
Howe, who turned 44-years-old today, preferred to keep the focus on Tuesday evening’s crunch relegation clash with Norwich City at St James’ Park and beyond.
However, questions on the winter market, which opens in just over four weeks’ time, are arising, and Howe refused to make any “rash promises”.
What did Eddie Howe say on the January transfer window?
“We have half an eye on January as always,” Howe told reporters during his Norwich pre-match press conference.
“Regardless of what time of year, you’re always looking at how you can evolve your team and improve the squad but trust me when I say my main focus is on the players we have in the building now and trying to get the best out of those players.
“I’m working extremely hard to help them deliver their best performances and I think that is the best use of my time at this moment.”
Many hope - and believe - Newcastle will aim to spend their way out of Premier League relegation trouble when the window re-opens.
The club have been linked with a number of high-profile players since the Saudi Arabian-backed consortium took ownership, however Howe played down expectations.
He said: “It’s very difficult to make any promises in the sense we will definitely spend money and sign players because you have.
“You have to attract the players, they have to want to come and they have to be the right players to improve the squad.
“That is why January is an incredibly difficult window to recruit players in, especially when your league position is difficult.
“I can’t make any promises on that but I can promise that the people above me, the owners, will support the team and support me in trying to achieve what we need. That’s all I can say at this time.
“It would be foolish of me to make rash promises or statements. My priority at the moment is to get the best out of the players we have.”
Will Newcastle strengthen in January?
Part-owner and director Amanda Staveley revealed plans to invest in the January transfer window earlier this month.
“We’ve got a robust business plan and we’re developing that every week,” she told NUF TV. “January is amongst us so we’re preparing for the January transfer window.
“It’s not a window that we would ordinarily want to invest in, because you probably don’t get the right deals, but that’s something that is important at the moment and preparing for that.”
What positions do Newcastle need to strengthen?
Given Newcastle’s perilous position in the top-flight table, the new owners have no option but to try and bolster the squad.
Their spending power is undoubtedly a huge tool but as Howe alluded to, the threat of relegation makes things a lot trickier.
Indeed, it might also work the other way. Clubs are fully aware of United’s wealth, so each price tag could become inflated.
With 29 goals conceded in just 13 games, it doesn’t take an expert to realise the Magpies need a defender or three.
The midfield has also been a big concern this season, while the squad is a Callum Wilson injury away from being light of goals in attack.
Newcastle have the power to flex their muscles with the list of targets Howe & Co draw up - but there are no guarantees.