It proved to be a quiet Deadline Day at St James’ Park with the £3 million signing of Harrison asby proving to be the only business done by Newcastle United.
The full back’s arrival, along with the £45 million addition of Anthony Gordon from Everton, concluded the North East club’s business for the January window and attentions now fully turn to their next Premier League fixture which comes against West Ham United this weekend. However, there is still plenty of fallout from the past month coming to the surface even with the window now shut. Here are the latest Newcastle United transfer news headlines on Thursday, February 2:
Newcastle United ‘have Wolves to blame’ for missing out on Brazilian star
Per a report from HITC, via Globo Esporte, Newcastle United missed out on the signing of Brazilian wonderkid Matheus Franca last month as Flamengo were under no pressure to cash in following Joao Gomes’ £15 million move to Wolves. The Molineux side captured the 21-year old midfielder last month and that meant his former club could stand firm over the Magpies’ target.
Flamengo have taken in over £130 million in player sales in recent seasons, having produced the likes of Vinicius Jr, Lucas Paqueta and Pablo Mari to name just a few. Globo Esporte are said to claim that Franca ‘became an obsession’ for Newcastle in January and that the Magpies offered £14 million and then £17 million but Flamengo refused to budge on their £22 million asking price.
Newcastle United were ‘never really keen’ to sell AC Milan target - Romano
Newcastle United were ‘never really keen’ to let Allan Saint-Maximin leave the club last month, says Italian journalist and transfer guru Fabrizio Romano. Serie A side AC Milan had emerged as potential suitors for the Frenchman but, despite certain media reports, their interest was ‘never advanced’.
Romano, who was writing in his daily column for CaughtOffside, says it’s also unclear if Milan will look to make a move for the winger in the summer transfer window. He said: “Newcastle were never really open to let Allan Saint-Maximin leave so it wasn’t close with AC Milan. I’m aware his agent has spoken about Milan’s interest, but it wasn’t advanced. In the summer we will see, I’d be lying to mention any guaranteed transfer news now for the summer because many things will change for every club in the next few months.”