NHS sends ‘urgent plea’ to people of North East ahead of New Year’s Eve partying

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
The NHS has been forced to send an urgent plea to people across Newcastle and the North East ahead of New Year’s Eve

People in the North East are being urged to only use A&E or 999 if their condition is life-threatening this New Year as the health service continues to face high demand.

Anyone needing none urgent help is being asked to think of alternative services such as local pharmacies, GPs and NHS 111 online - whilst asking anyone who has not yet come forward for free Flu or Covid-19 vaccinations to get protected now.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dr Neil O’Brien, executive medical director for the North East and North Cumbria Integrated Care Board, said: “We would like to thank our communities for all their help so far this winter and ask that you continue to lend your support to us at this challenging time. Your actions really do make a difference and by choosing the right service for your needs it helps us to prioritise care for those people who are most poorly.

“Please only use 999 and accident and emergency departments for life threatening injuries and illnesses. Patients who attend accident and emergency departments with non-emergency conditions are likely to face a long wait for treatment. If you need medical help but it’s not an emergency, please think about other services such as your local pharmacy, GP or NHS 111 online.

“If you’ve not come forward for your COVID-19 booster or Flu vaccination yet, and you are eligible, please do so now – there is still time! Vaccines really are the best protection against these viruses which are circulating within our communities. By getting vaccinated you not only protect yourself but those closest to you from becoming seriously ill and possibly requiring hospital care.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad
NHS services are stretched over the festive period (Image: Getty Images)NHS services are stretched over the festive period (Image: Getty Images)
NHS services are stretched over the festive period (Image: Getty Images)

If you need advice for an everyday illness or injury, please either contact your local pharmacy for help or look at the self-care advice that’s available online from the NHS at www.nhs.uk.

You can also check your symptoms, using the online symptom checker available at www.111.nhs.uk, which will re-direct you to a health professional if you need to be seen by someone. If your symptoms persist and you are not getting better, please contact your GP practice for advice.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.