Dan Burn reacts to joining boyhood club Newcastle United from Brighton and Hove Albion

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Dan Burn has joined boyhood club Newcastle United in a deal worth £13million from Brighton and Hove Albion.

Dan Burn has become Newcastle United’s fifth January signing in a deal that wraps up the club’s transfer business.

The Blyth-born defender has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract at St James’ Park to end Eddie Howe’s lengthy search for a centre-back.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

An emotional homecoming for Dan Burn

Burn makes an emotional return to Newcastle having been released by his boyhood club aged 13.

The 6ft 7 defender used to be a season ticket holder at St James’ Park before going on to pursue his professional career, which started at Darlington.

Via Fulham, Wigan Athletic and Brighton, Burn is set to fulfill his childhood dream of wearing the black and white stripes.

A £13million fee was agreed with the Seagulls on Saturday night. Burn had been discussing personal terms up until midday on deadline day.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It was a big decision for the player to leave behind the South Coast but the pull of his boyhood club prevailed.

What Dan Burn said about his move to boyhood club Newcastle

“I’m buzzing to be here,” Burn said. I never thought I’d be in this position so to be a Newcastle player and to be around St. James’ Park, it’s something I’ve dreamt of since I was a kid.

“I can’t wait to step out in the shirt and to see what it feels like. From sitting in the East Stand as a kid to now, it’s crazy. I’m excited to get started.”

What Eddie Howe said about signing Dan Burn

Head coach said: “I’m delighted to bring Dan back to the North East.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“He knows exactly what it means to represent this club and he will be a big presence for us on and off the pitch.“We have been very keen to add competition defensively and Dan fits the profile we have been looking for.

“He is naturally left-footed, which provides further balance to our backline, and he will be a great addition to the group.”

Are Newcastle closed for business?

It seems that way after a late move for Manchester United attacking midfielder Jesse Lingard collapsed on deadline day evening.

With Lingard keen, the Magpies were hopeful a deal could be pushed through but the Red Devils told the player he was staying at Old Trafford.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Meanwhile, a move for Reims striker Hugo Ekitike also fell through after the 19-year-old opted to stay in France.

Indeed, the French wonderkid was unconvinced by a switch to Newcastle due to their uncertain position in the Premier League table.

While United ideally would have liked to have added another central defender and attacker, the signings of Kieran Trippier, Chris Wood, Bruno Guimaraes, Matt Targett and Burn make them stronger than what they were on January 1.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.