‘Daylight robbery’ - Disagreements as Matt Targett predictions made after Newcastle United transfer

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
The football world has reacted as the Magpies wrap up their first signing of the summer.

Newcastle United put an end to weeks of speculation by wrapping up a permanent deal for Matt Targett on Wednesday.

The left-back, who initially joined the Magpies on loan in January, is understood to have left Aston Villa for a fee in the region of around £12 million.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Eddie Howe’s side have been linked with a number of full-backs in recent reports, including Atletico Madrid’s Renan Lodi and Bologna’s precocious Scottish teenager Aaron Hickey, but after exploring other alternatives, instead opted to push ahead with a deal for Targett.

The 26-year-old featured 16 times during his first stint on Tyneside, and has spoken openly of his elation after signing a four-year contract at St. James’ Park.

He said: “I’m absolutely delighted to sign a four-year contract with this club.

“For me, it was an easy decision to make the loan permanent after the welcome I had from my fellow players, the staff, the supporters and the owners, so I’m really happy to be here.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Likewise, Toon manager Howe has expressed his satisfaction at getting a deal over the line.

He said: “Matt had a fantastic impact after joining on loan in January and made a big contribution to some excellent team performances.

“He’s a great lad, and a top professional, who undoubtedly makes us stronger, so I’m delighted he sees his future here.”

The general consensus among pundits has been largely positive too, with former West Ham star Frank McAvennie suggesting in an interview with Football Insider that the Magpies have nabbed themselves something of a bargain.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He said: “He came in and he showed what he was about. He did what Newcastle weren’t doing last season.

“Targett came in and showed up all the players who weren’t performing under Bruce. Trippier did the same.

“The other players have all of a sudden stepped up to the mark. Targett deserves this move, he worked so hard for them last season.

“£12 million for a guy who came in and helped them win those games, in this day and age, in the Premier League, dirt cheap.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Similarly, ex-Sunderland striker Kevin Phillips predicted that the defender could become an integral player for the Toon Army for quite some time.

He said: “Matt Targett, he can count himself unlucky, he got player of the season at Villa and then they let him go.

“We know he’s a good player and he just needs a run of games which is what he’s getting at Newcastle.

“I can see him playing in that position for Newcastle for a long while.”

Others are slightly less sure, however.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Former Arsenal forward Kevin Campbell, for instance, has suggested that pursuing a more expensive deal for the aforementioned Lodi would have represented an “upgrade” for the Toon Army, while Gabby Agbonlahor - despite praising the transfer - has claimed that Howe will still see fit to sign another left-sided defender in the coming weeks.

Needless to say though, many Newcastle fans have voiced their delight at the propsect of Targett returning to the north east.

Responding to the player’s official announcement on Twitter, @dwhiting879 said: “Should be in the England squad, and that will happen if you keep your form up - it has to deserve a call up.

“You were a massive part of us surviving and I’m buzzing you have signed permanently. Glad to see you home where you’re so much more appreciated. Good luck for the season ahead”.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

@JnathanN echoed the sentiment, replying: “We’re over the moon too! Best £12m we’ve spent in a long time. Keep it up”.

@PawlMartin added: “Pleased we made it happen. And for the price.... BARGAIN!

“For me you were a player of the year contender last year. Keep it up lad! How you aren’t in contention for an England place is embarassing.”

Reaction to Targett’s exit was met with an equal amount of joy from a number of Aston Villa fans - albeit for vastly different reasons.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In response to the club’s official tweet confirming the full-back’s departure, @maffu198 said: “This feels like daylight robbery. Thanks for the easy £££”.

Likewise, @AVFC_Aston wrote: “YESSSSSSSSSS DEADWOOD GONEEE. Richest club in the world signing yet another Championship level player”.

Ultimately, however, Villa supporter @avfcjosh summed up the feelings of several other supporters by replying: “Good deal for both clubs. Cheers for everything, Matty”.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.