Leeds United star addresses future amid £20million Newcastle United bid claims
The Magpies are continuing in their efforts to add to their attacking ranks with under two weeks to go in the transfer window.
and live on Freeview channel 276
The Magpies are looking to add at least one forward player to Eddie Howe’s squad before the summer transfer window closes next week and their search for a winger has taken them back to the former Manchester City winger.
Harrison played a key role as Jesse Marsch’s side fought a successful battle against relegation from the Premier League last season and has made an impressive start to the new campaign.
The 25-year-old has provided assists and his side battled to a 2-2 draw at Southampton and earned impressive home wins against Wolverhampton Wanderers and Chelsea.
Harrison also notched his first goal of the season in Sunday’s 3-0 win against Thomas Tuchel’s side in a game that was preceded by reports Newcastle had rekindled their interest in the winger.
Monday morning brought reports from numerous sources that a £20million offer had been submitted and subsuquently rejected by the Elland Road hierachy.
Harrison has already addressed the interest from Newcastle and signalled his intention to impress Gareth Southgate in a bid to secure a place in England’s World Cup Finals squad later this year.
“I knew nothing about it (the enquiry and reported bid from Newcastle) and it threw me off,’ he told The Mail when asked about a non-committal answer he gave to a question on the Magpies interest in pre-season.
“My answer gave the wrong impression from what I meant. Social media was talking about it and people were like, “What have you said?”
“But it was nothing. My intention is to be here and work hard for this team. If anything I want to make a greater impact than before and I think this is the best place to do that.
“My performances at the start of last season weren’t the best but I think I improved. My goal is to try to make the next England camp in September. If I am to have any chance of the World Cup at all, I will have to make that next squad.”
Newcastle are believed to be keen to add two new forward players to their squad over the next week and they are reportedly moving closer to a deal for Watford’s Brazilian star Joao Pedro.