Newcastle United ‘preparing’ £39m offer for La Liga star wanted by Arsenal and West Ham United

The Magpies are said to have made a move for the France star earlier this year.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Newcastle United are reportedly set to make a second attempt to sign Real Betis midfielder Nabil Fekir during the January transfer window.

Spanish outlet Fichajes have reported the 25-times capped France international is a long-standing target for the Magpies and stated an unsuccessful offer was made for Fekir during the summer.

The former Lyon attacking midfielder joined the La Liga club in a deal that could total around £24m in 2019 and has gone on to enjoy a successful time at the Estadio Benito Villamarin. Fekir helped Los Verdiblancos qualify for the Europa League with a sixth-placed finish during the 2020/21 campaign and was in their side as they claimed the Copa del Rey with a penalty shoot-out win over Valencia last season.

Fekir’s form at Betis earned the praise of former Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini as he said: “Nabil was the first one who wanted to score, although there was no obsession to do so. His level has always been very good scoring and not scoring for a long time. He is a player who gives a lot to the team.”

Fekir has continued to impress this season with three goals in 10 appearances in all competitions and scored in his side’s 3-0 win over HJK Helsinki on Thursday night as Betis progressed into the knockout stages of the Europa League.

The midfielder remains under contract until the summer of 2026 after penning an extension earlier this season - but that has not prevented speculation over a move to the Premier League with Arsenal, West Ham United and Newcastle all said to be interested in a move for the 29-year-old. It is the Magpies who are said to be leading the race and a fee of around £39m has been reported as sufficient to complete a move to bring Fekir to Tyneside.