The Newcastle United v Southampton incident this ex-Leeds man said was an ‘absolute disgrace’

Newcastle United beat Southampton 3-1 on aggregate to book their place in the Carabao Cup final.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

It’s the morning after the night before - and Newcastle United remain on cloud nine after booking their place in a Wembley final.

Eddie Howe’s men became the first Magpies team in 24 years to reach a domestic final, where they are likely to play Manchester United on Sunday, February 26.

For supporters, the countdown is already underway but in the meantime, Howe & Co have three Premier League fixtures to focus on.

And for games against West Ham, Bournemouth and Liverpool, Newcastle will be without star man Bruno Guimaraes after he was shown a straight red card against Southampton.

Newcastle United midfielder Bruno Guimaraes. Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images)Newcastle United midfielder Bruno Guimaraes. Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images)
Newcastle United midfielder Bruno Guimaraes. Photo by Gareth Copley/Getty Images)

When challenging for the ball, the Brazilian stood on Samuel Edozie’s ankle. Although a free-kick was awarded, Guimaraes initially went unpunished before a call from Stockley Park’s VAR room advised referee Paul Tierney to take a second look at the pitchside monitor.

Indeed, Guimaraes was shown his marching orders - a decision former Leeds United and Manchester City defender Danny Mills branded as an “absolute disgrace” after a similar incident happened in the Brighton v Liverpool FA Cup match last Saturday.

“[It’s] an absolute disgrace after what we saw at the weekend,” Mills told talkSPORT. “You want consistency. It is a yellow card, it is not deliberate, he is not endangering an opponent.

“After the tackles at the weekend that went to the VAR and weren’t given, how can you possibly give that one? It is weak refereeing.”

Howe also felt the decision was “harsh”. It forced Newcastle to play the remaining quarter of an hour or so with 10 men,

“When the tackle happened, I just thought it was a normal tackle that was slightly mis-timed,” Howe said. “Then you see the slow-motion replay back and it doesn’t look great but the speed is not taken into account.

“There was no intent, I thought the red card was harsh. But it’s happened and we have to deal with it.”

The 25-year-old is set to back in time for the final.

Related topics: