This is what Eddie Howe must avoid as Newcastle United prepare for Everton ‘abuse’
Thursday’s looking to be a tough one.
and live on Freeview channel 276
Gordon left his former club not on the best terms in the January transfer window for £45 million.
Weeks prior to his move the 22-year-old was chased down the street by Everton fans after their 2-1 defeat to Southampton.
The winger has since said the ordeal was “difficult to recover from” and that he “grew up on those streets, I’m one of them. It played a part in how it ended.”
Everton’s struggles haven’t subsided since the beginning of the year, with them in the depths of a relegation battle for the second season in a row.
A supporter movement ‘All Together Now’ has mobilised and have protested across the season for the removal of the Blue’s board. However in a letter last week said they’ll stop protesting if there were significant changes and imminent investment into the club.
Board members have not attended a Goodison Park match since the night Gordon was chased due to fears for their safety.
The Chairman of the Board, Bill Kenwright offered a response to the movement but it has only angered the fans further.
Since then, #AllTogetherNow have said they’ll put ‘all out effort into backing the team on Thursday as opposed to protesting,’ however many Newcastle fans believe this should signal Gordon’s exclusion from the squad.
On Twitter, Richie Southern said: ‘This will be another Everton circus on Thurs night. Fireworks outside of hotels, blue flares, moody atmosphere with loads of booing. Gordon getting absolute pelters.
‘I’d personally leave him back home in Newcastle. We don’t need to fuel the Everton s*** storm. We need 3 points.’
Another fan said: ‘Would you take the risk with him being there? I’ll be surprised if Eddie gives the fans something to get worked up about. The fans are Everton’s only chance in most games they’re that bad.
‘Even Gordon warming up he’ll get abuse and get them worked up.’
This tactic is not unheard of in the Premier League, with many Newcastle fans believing the real reason Jack Grealish was nowhere to be seen at City’s away game at St James’ Park was because of the way fans would treat him after his comments about Miggy Almiron.
However the Magpies incredible 6-1 victory against Tottenham Hotspur yesterday left a few uncertainties ahead of Thursday’s game.
Bruno Guimarães and Fabian Schar were subbed off in the second half due to injury concerns. Bruno has been struggling with his ankle for some time but after the match Schar said: “I don’t think it’s bad, just a hamstring I felt but we’ll see [Monday] and hopefully it’s not a big problem.”
Allan Saint-Maximin will also not be available in time due to a hamstring injury.
Get the latest Newcastle United headlines with our free football newsletter! Follow the action from St James’ Park and beyond as we bring the sport news to you. Visit our website here to sign up.