Newcastle United striker Callum Wilson has said he is not 'deluded' when it comes to the part he will have to play for England at the World Cup in Qatar.
The Magpies man was called up by Three Lions boss Gareth Southgate for the World Cup, despite not playing for the international side since 2019 due to persistent injury problems - Wilson's call-up likely came in place of in-form Brentford striker Ivan Toney.
Despite his six goals in 11 appearances in the Premier League this season, the 30-year-old is staying realistic with how much game time he will get in Qatar. Speaking on the BBC Sounds' Footabller's Football Podcast with Rickie Haywood-Williams, Wilson candidly spoke about playing second fiddle to star man Harry Kane.
Wilson said: "I know Harry is an unbelievable player and England captain, he's going to be the first choice on most people's team sheets. I know my role, I'm not deluded enough to think I'm going to go to the World Cup and be playing every game. I feel there will be an opportunity and when it comes I'll be ready to take it with both hands."
The forward went on to add that he hoped to bring much more to the squad than just goals, being one of the older names in the squad. Wilson continued: "It's not just on the pitch attributes I bring, I'm older, I'm 30, I'm a leader. I'll be in training pushing people. I'd like to come back from the World Cup with a goal to my name, that would be the pinnacle of my career."
Wilson isn't the only Magpies man in the England squad, with defender Kieran Trippier and goalkeeper Nick Pope alongside him after outstanding seasons so far in black and white. A number of other internationals from Eddie Howe's side will also don the colours of their home country in Qatar over the next month.
England begin their World Cup campaign against Iran on Monday, November 21 at 1 pm before matches against Wales and the USA in Group B.