Callum Wilson has shared the story of how the school that his children attend near Newcastle kept his England World Cup squad a secret so that he could break the news.
The Magpies striker keeps his private life largely away from the public eye but has mentioned that both children Ortise and Orlagh are into their football. On the day that the World Cup squad was announced, Wilson was itching to share his proud news with his kids himself and told the story of how the school helped him do so.
Thinking back to last week and getting the call-up confirmation whilst speaking on the BBC Sounds' Footballer's Football Podcast, Wilson said: "I was still at the training ground and had a meeting at 2 pm, which I scheduled in but forgot that was when the announcement was. Before I left the training ground, at around 1 pm, I was getting messages saying congratulations but the squad hadn't been announced, so I didn't reply to people. I was in my meeting around 2ish and my phone was blowing off.
"It was too overwhelming - at the best of times, I hate replying to people. For anyone who has messaged me and listens to the podcast, I apologise and will get to the messages soon. I'm grateful for all the love and support.
"I picked the kids up from school, standing at the school gates me and the Mrs, the little man looked at me and I just smiled. The schoolteachers already knew so they were watching the reactions, smiling away, saying congratulations at the gate. It's nice that all the hard work is paying off."
Wilson has only made four appearances for England over his career, the first coming in November 2018 and the most recent being a 14-minute cameo in October 2021. Nonetheless, the striker's fine form in the Premier League meant that Gareth Southgate couldn't overlook him, even at the loss of in-form Brentford man Ivan Toney.
England kick-off their World Cup campaign against Iran at 1 pm on Monday, November 21 before taking on the USA and Wales in the Group Stage.