Newcastle United’s Premier League rivals set to receive shock ‘blockbuster’ £3.1bn takeover bid

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Wednesday morning brought reports of major interest in the Premier League club from an Iranian-American billionaire.

One of Newcastle United’s key rivals for a place in next season’s Champions League is set to receive a lucrative takeover offer.

The Financial Times have reported Tottenham Hotspur are the subject to major interest from Iranian-American billionaire Jahm Najafi and are suggesting an official offer could be made in the coming weeks.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad
Getty Images

Najafi is chair of MSP Sport Capital and is reportedly ‘working’ with a group of investors to piece together a bid for the North London club. An offer of around $3.1bn has been stated and the group are said to be ‘weeks away from formally approaching’ current Spurs owner Joe Lewis and chairman Daniel Levy.

According to the report, MSP will put around 70 percent of the initial bid, with the remaining 30 percent coming from other investors within their consortium. Should the move be successful, it would bring an end to ENIC’s 23-year ownership of Spurs after they bought the club from Lord Alan Sugar in a £21.9m deal in 2000.

During the time that has passed, Spurs have won just one major trophy, coming with their 2-1 win over London rivals Chelsea in the Carling Cup Final in 2008. However, they have also regularly competed for a place in the Champions League and reached the final of European football’s premier club cup competition in 2019, before suffering a 2-0 defeat against Premier League rivals Liverpool.

There were recent reports PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi met with Levy in London recently to discuss the possibility of taking a minority share in Spurs, with The Athletic revealing talks were ongoing.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Spurs are not the only Premier League club to be heavily linked with a takeover in recent weeks after Liverpool and Manchester United were both said to be the subject of interest from a number of parties around the world after their current owners showed a willingness to sell.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.