‘Diamond of a boy’: Tributes paid to Gordon Gault after Elswick stabbing with thousands raised for parents

Over £2,000 has been raised in under 24 hours to help Gordon’s family give him the best send-off possible.

Tributes have come flooding in for 14-year-old Gordon Gault who lost his life after being stabbed in an alleged attack in Elswick, Newcastle. The teenager passed away in hospital on Tuesday evening after a six-day fight for life following the incident.

The tragedy has left the West End community reeling with many in mourning at the loss of the young life. On Wednesday evening friends and family gathered in Elswick for a vigil in honour of Gordon with tributes to "a diamond of a boy", a "one of a kind boy" and "life taken too young".

In the hours since the teenager's passing, a GoFundMe page has also been set up to raise money for the Gault family. The fundraiser is being run by Vicky Tams on behalf of the family, who wrote in the description: "I'm trying to take a bit pressure off Dionne and her family by setting up this donation page see what we can raise to help Gave Gaulty the bestest send off ever. Come on guys dig deep anything is much appreciated."

Over £2,000 had been raised within 17 hours of the fundraiser being set up with 108 people contributing money to the cause. You can do so here.

Those who helped put money towards a send-off for the teenager shared messages of condolences for the family he leaves behind.

One person wrote: "This is a local boy to me. I have lived in this area most of my life. I have two sons and this tragedy could happen to anyone. What is happening to this area?"

Another said: "So sorry for your loss, no parent deserves to lose a child especially not to such a senseless act! My thoughts are with you all."

Flowers and balloons are laid as a tribute to the teenager in Elswick

At a press conference on Wednesday afternoon, Chief Superintendent Helena Barron, Northumbria Police’s Area Commander for Newcastle and Gateshead, said: “It is with sadness that I am standing here today following the loss of a young life in a suspected knife attack. As a result of an incident in the Elswick area of Newcastle last Wednesday, 14-year-old Gordon Gault, of Newcastle, has tragically died. This is a devastating outcome and our thoughts are with his family at this time.

“An investigation remains ongoing into the incident and so far we have made 14 arrests. At this stage, we believe all parties involved were known to each other and there is no information to suggest there is a risk to the wider public. Today, I am standing here to make it clear that carrying a knife can never be acceptable – and we all have a responsibility to make sure that message is spread loud and clear, far and wide. Each and every one of us – as parents, families, communities and as a society – can help tackle knife crime.”