‘Very likely’ - Newcastle United & Everton told chances of signing ex-Leeds United star

Newcastle United and Everton have been linked with a move for the former Leeds United favourite.
Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)
Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)

Reported Newcastle United transfer target Kalvin Phillips is “very likely” to leave Manchester City during the January transfer window.

Phillips has made just five starts since joining from Leeds United for £42million last year and was once again an unused substitute as City beat Brighton and Hove Albion 2-1 on Saturday afternoon.

Newcastle considered a move for Phillips in the summer but the midfielder wanted to stay and fight for his place at the Etihad. However, with his game time failing to improve, the 27-year-old is on the verge of a change of heart.

Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)
Manchester City midfielder Kalvin Phillips. (Photo by George Wood/Getty Images)

“Kalvin Phillips expected to leave in January as exit considered very likely,” said transfer expert Fabrizio Romano. “Kalvin will still fight to play as much as possible in the next two months but his plan is to be a regular starter elsewhere in 2024 – also due to the Euros.”

Although Phillips has struggled for minutes at club level, he’s remained a regular for England. Gareth Southgate has told the player he must be playing regularly in order to guarantee a spot in his Euro 2024 squad.

Speaking after last week’s 3-1 win over Italy, Phillips said: “I know that I need to be playing games and competing every weekend.

“I’m going to have to make a decision on [my future] over the next months. He [Gareth Southgate] just says that for me to keep my spot I have to be playing games. That’s what I want to do. I have agreed with Gareth on that.

“I want to play football and want to play as much as possible. Over the last year and a half, I haven’t been able to do that due to injuries and [other factors]. It’s something I am going to have to think about. Hopefully, my chance does come but if it doesn’t then I will have to make other decisions as well.”

The situation surrounding £52million summer signing Sandro Tonali could dictate whether or not the Magpies re-enter the market for a midfield.

Tonali is facing a lengthy ban from football amid an investigation by the Italian Prosecutor’s Office and Italian Football Federation in relation to alleged illegal betting activity.